Anonymous

I'm a junior in highschool and I had a very rough year freshman year because of emotional, social and family issues. My GPA is 3.167.?

I want to attend a good college and major in law. However, my GPA is on the lower end because I had a lot going on freshman year. My grades since then have been A's and B's. I no longer have D's and F's like I did my freshman year. However, even though I have been working my tail off for the past two school years to try to make up for freshman year, I can see that I probably will not make it into my college of choice. The college I want to attend wants students to have a 3.7 GPA atleast.... I'm very disheartened and worried about my future because it is impossible to get my GPA up to a 3.7 even if I made an A in every single class from this point on. I don't really know what to do other than study hard for the SAT.... But even if I score high on the SAT, there's no doubt that colleges will see my GPA and pick other students over me because they see that I've underachieved. 

Should I attend community college for a year and then try to transfer? 

• angie
    Favorite Answer

I feel for this generation. The pressure is overwhelming and debt climbing too. I thought it was a the end of the world when circumstances changed and I had to work my way through community college.. nooooo. 😮. But after earning my AA I was accepted everywhere I applied for my BA. I got a prestigious internship. Then I stopped everything in it's tracks to be home obsessed with my baby. My point is ..don't be too hard on yourself. You're worthy of everything you want and you should go for it, even if it takes you down a different round about way than you expected. You might be surprised by what you find to be truly important by your standard of happiness later

Your GPA closes the doors at the school you want. Pick other schools to apply to, or consider community college to prove you can perform at college levels, then transfer. However, a school which sets that high a standard is not too likely to take transfers from community colleges. Your best bets are other universities with less demanding requirements, less competition for admission.

• MS

First of all, you don’t major in law as an undergraduate. You go to law school after finishing your undergraduate degree. 

You can still get into plenty of colleges with a 3.0+ GPA, and especially if you do well on the SAT. Maybe not your dream school, but certainly others. You could consider community college first, but that still won’t guarantee that you’ll be able to transfer into that dream school later. 

i think you can still go to college, you still have good grades