Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

Could a CNA make enough money to put a down payment on a house?

I still live with my parents and want to go to college to become an CNA. If I get my certificate and find a CNA job, will I make enough to put a down payment on a house?

There are a lot of variables (hours worked, pay rate, local cost of living, other expenses, etc.), but it’s unlikely. CNA jobs usually pay not much above minimum wage; the starting rate at my hospital is $15/hr, which is about 28k/yr before taxes. Even if you could save for a down payment while living with your parents, you most likely could not afford mortgage payments, homeowner’s insurance, property taxes, and maintenance along with all the other costs of living independently.

A better long term plan might be to work as a CNA while going to college and preparing for a better-paying career. You actually don’t go to college to become a CNA; you complete a very short vocational training program and/or get on the job training.

• G R

Sure eventually you would

There are a million variables.

Hours worked

Overtime

Pay rate

Cost of living

Family support

Etc.

In general, I'd say home ownership is out of reach for a single person, working regular full time hours, as a CNA. You'd do better to invest the money you make into further education.

• Bort

No. The CNA title is pretty much the bottom of the barrel that doesn't require much to achieve. National US statistics state that the average median anual income for a CNA is under $27k.

That's just above minimum wage and doesn't include deductions for taxes or health benefits.

No, a CNA cannot afford a house on their own.

You'll have to stay in school longer and work at getting a higher nursing degree.

• Judy

depends on the cost of the house, and how good of a saver you are and how long you save. But a CNA would typically find it hard to afford a house.

depends

i dont see why not

not in my area..even if you saved up all cash, the cheapest minimally decent house is about 200K. property tax will likely be at least 7500/year. likely 2 bedroom...and very rare to find....minimum 250K is more feasible..with 10K/year taxes

utilities a few hundred per month, repair budget, insurance and so much more

CNA is not really a college course....its a short vocational course..  in my area they make barely above minimum wage....30K a year after a while if they are lucky....

comes out to 2000 after taxes--housing expenses minimum 1000/month (if you pay cash for the house), may need to pay toward health insurance....pay food, clothing, transportation, etc.....its not sustainable.

well I mean do you live in Iowa or California,

In iowa, probably, in California,probably not.