Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 1 month ago

I have my own car and car insurance, drove my dad’s car (I’m not insured under his policy) and crashed (my fault).?

Can I use my insurance policy for the claim, or does it have to be my dad’s?

Presuming you live in dad's house, it is possible that neither policy will cover this.  But you'll have to file the claim under both policies to find out.   No one here could possibly know.

• Andy

This really depends on how car insurance works where you are.

Other answers are all good but it depends on what the coverage is.

If you were in the UK you could be in difficulty especially if there is any damage to property or personal injury.  Here in general if you are not named on a car insurance policy you are not insured by that policy to drive that car. You may have the ability to drive other peoples cars based on your own insurance policy but it is usually liability cover only so it would cover other peoples costs but not damage to the car you were borrowing.

In some areas the car is insured but there may be conditions that any driver under a certain age has to be named or that you need to be named if you are in the same household. This is done to prevent fraud, i.e. getting cheaper cover for one family member but the car is actually being driven by another.

I'm guessing you are in the US somewhere so you really have to read your policy and your dad's to see if you are covered.  

Good luck.

• Bort

There's a chance you can use your policy if you call your carrier and file a claim for the damage you caused. Ask dad to call his own carrier and file a claim as well. Since he's the policy holder that might make a difference if he calls his insurance. I say *might make a difference* because it may not matter either. It depends on the insurance carrier's policies. Some won't cover any damage that happens when a person not on the policy was driving, some will, some will or will not depending on who files the claim like I'm suggesting.

I'm not at all suggesting anyone lies or attempts fraud. I'm suggesting if dad calls it in to his insurance because he is the policy holder they might be willing to cover the damages regardless of who was driving. They're going to ask who the driver was and that question should be answered honestly.

A policy covers an automobile, not the driver.  Your Dad's insurance covers HIS car.  Your insurance covers YOUR car.

The insurance does not "travel" with the driver.

It's a claim on his policy.  IF there was fraud involved when he applied for the insurance (and very often that's not admitting to a driver under 25) the company will deny the claim.

This will be totally handled by Dad's insurance policy, not yours.  Your policy covers cars you own, and you don't own Dad's car.

And yes you probably are insured under Dad's auto policy.  Unless his insurance contract specifically says (in writing) that you're not covered when driving his vehicle, you are.  You might not be a listed driver, but that doesn't mean you're not insured.  

If Dad's insurance company asks who the hell you are and why you're not listed as a driver on his policy, he'll tell them the truth.  You're his kid, and you're not listed on his policy because you have your own vehicle and insurance.  If they don't have it already, they'll ask for your driver's licence number and insurance provider & policy number.  Dad's insurer will look up those details, verify that he's telling the truth, and (as long as you're not currently suspended for drunk driving or anything like that) cover the accident.  

No you cannot use yours.

• May

You used Dad's car, you crashed Dad's car so You would use Dad's insurance.  

When Dad loaned you his car he also automatically loaned you his car's insurance.

• boy boy
      1 month agoReport

not in the uk 

Do you live in the same house?  

Personally I think you are screwed.  Best you ask your insurance and his insurance about it.

Read your insurance policy. See whether it covers you in other cars. Some do. Some don't.