Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 2 months ago

Are .380s dangerous and unreliable?

All the reviews I see for this caliber is terrible and like they are disasters just waiting to happen. Is this true? why are 9mms so much more reliable?

• david
    Favorite Answer

When compared side by side, a common 380 round has a 95 grain bullet with around 205 lbs of energy.  A common 9mm round is around 115 grain bullet with around 360 lbs of energy.  These figures of course vary depending on the bullets you buy and some are more powerful and deadly.  But, side by side, you can see that the 9mm is more deadly and thus more reliable in it's stopping power.  It is actually cheaper to shoot as well.  The 380 is not an unreliable cartridge and is preferable to some people because of it's smaller size and controlability, but I'm sure more people prefer the 9mm.  Let me add that if you want true stopping power, you can opt for a 10mm.  I own all 3 and carry a 380 due to it's size.

• Adam D

If a round was really dangerous and unreliable (indicating that it had problems across the board, in most guns chambered for it), why would so many of them continue to exist?

The primary difference between guns chambered in .380 and 9mm is that most .380's are a blowback design, while most 9mm's are recoil operated.  In general, blowback designs are simpler.

The only way to fairly compare the .380 to the 9mm would be to compare the same or similar models chambered in those rounds.  The Ruger LCP is just as safe and reliable as the LC9.  The same goes for the Smith and Wesson M&P Bodyguard compared to the Shield.  It would hardly be fare to compare a .380 Hi Point to a Sig (though both of those reliable go bang when you pull the trigger too).

I have has zero reliability issues with my Ruger LCP.  I'd like to see your statistics that say .380 ACP is less reliable than 9mm Luger.  Methinks you are ready mall ninja forums rather than actual informed reviews.

A .380 ACP is just fine for the self defense situations most people run into on the street.  These pocket pistols are easy to carry in a pocket (with a pocket holster) and are great for situations were it is just too inconvenient to carry anything bigger.  They also work fine as a backup to the main defense handgun.

The important thing is to regularly train with a .380 ACP pistol (like you should with any self defense pistol), because you don't have the ammo capacity to waste shots, and at <5 yards with decent ammo will stop an attack just as well as 9mm Luger, but you have to hit center mass (like with any other self defense pistol).

• david

Though both are effective in that scenario most of the time, an 85 gr bullet hitting you with 205 lbs of force is NOT as effective as a 115 gr bullet hitting you with 360 lbs of force - just saying

• JOHN B

Reread the review. Most people miss the answer to their question because they don't actually translate the info for brain digestion as they read. There are possible disasters  that have nothing to do with reliability.

1. Fire a 380 cartridge in a 9mm pistol is a disaster waiting to happen? I have seen 380 safely fired in a 9mm but would only hand cycle. Some inexperienced reviewers may believe the pistol will blow up. I know for a fact that a Glock will not blow up. Others pistols, I have no experience with.

2. Terrible as a defense round which leads to unreliable stopping power. Another ignorant opinion. It's where you place your shot not what you use.

3. Fire a 9mm in a 380 pistol? I don't believe that is even possible

• david

You are the only one who thinks the asker would fire the wrong bullet out of the wrong gun.  Maybe your brain needs easier digestion.

Guns are tools.  You need the right gun for the right situation - just like you need the right tool.  If we believed what all the gun guru's say - everyone would be carry bazookas because that has 'more power'.

Granted.  Three cars full of drug dealers show up to kill you - yeah, you don't want a 6 shot 380 as your only gun.  But serious.... what are the odds?

Hot summer day - no way you can conceal a full size pistol.  On the flip side, neither can the bad guy.  You can easily keep a 380 in cut off jeans using a wallet holster. 

Cheap crappy guns are unreliable.  You can buy a cheap 380 for $140 …… or you can buy a nice Sig or Walther for $640.  Guess what?  Those Sigs and Walthers are very reliable.

• david

Yeah, but unless you NEED the smaller 380, the 9mm is better.

• Robin

my 9.3x74R is very reliable but so too is my 38/200

You've been reading the wrong reviews.  The .380 is not a disaster waiting to happen.  Keep searching.

A lot of people I know carry a .380 and it has been used for years. Must be some

good for it to last as long as it has. In fact I sometimes carry  a .380.

The difference between the 380 and the 9 mm is that the case is exactly 1 MM shorter.   Same diameter bullets,  in fact you can use the same bullets,  same case shape other than that 1 MM.   How can losing just 1 MM in case length make such a big change in a round that people will say it is terrible and a disaster waiting to happen?   I think you are talking to people who are not very well informed.    Consider the evidence,   look at how many 380 caliber concealed carry pistols are being made.   The gun makers would not be making them if the round sucked.  

• BBean

USAFisherman, maybe we could go fishing sometime...when it comes time to divide the catch sounds great to me. Your math is so impressive that I`ll let you do the counting.