I asked my co-worker if I could put her as a reference for future jobs, she said yes. Now she wants to use my personal laptop?

Is this a fair trade off?

• John

I never allow others to use my computer.

• Carmen

No anyone can be a reference for a job as long as they know you personally and your work ethic doesn't take a physic or special skills and one good deed has nothing to do with your personal belongings a wise person see danger or red flags and protect themselves from a user or someone not acting like a true friend .

• Thank her for the reference but using your lap top isn't a fair trade off at all. You don't want her getting to your personal information. 

• falcon

There is no free lunch some people are too gready...

Co-worers are not good reference sources. An employer or company manger or supervisor is!

That happened to me once but the coworker wanted to have sex with me in exchange for the reference. I felt so used. It was bad enough the first time, but she made me do it every time I applied for a new job, which was about twice a week.

• TD  is from someone who left his sense of humour at home.

No, it is not. If she insists, tell her no and tell her you won't use her as a reference.

Troll smarter, not harder.

• Judy

Wants to use it for what, where and for how long?  This doesn't make a lot of sense.  For references, employers generally want former supervisors, not friends/coworkers.

it sounds fair to me