Long Nails?

Hi! Ok, so I play viola, and I really want to get acrylic nails or just grow out my nails, but I know that it would make it more difficult for me to play my instrument, so I have this question. Does it matter if I grow out my nails on my bowing hand (right hand)? I'm thinking about stopping orchestra once I get to high school because the teacher that I have currently kind of just ruins the atmosphere and I don't enjoy playing as much anymore. I have long nail beds, so when I cut my nails I can only cut them so short until it starts to hurt. I really want longer nails, because they make me feel a bit more confident and short nails (on me anyways) I think look strange and make my hands look "manly". Anywho thanks everyone! No rude answers please :)

Favorite Answer

Hey! Just a forewarning, I don't know much about orchestra but I definitely have experience in acrylic nails or just long nails in general. Having long nails can definitely get in the way of simple everyday tasks and you're right, playing your viola with long nails will definitely be difficult. However, I think it's best to experiment with nail length by growing out your nails. Grow them to a point where playing your instrument is manageable and not too difficult to play. From there, you will be able to get acrylic nails to your perfect length. From my knowledge, I don't think medium to long nails should affect your bowing hand, but it would definitely look strange if you had long nails on one hand and shorter nails on the other. However, they're your hands and I'm sure you'll look and play great no matter what nail length you choose!

Long nails r gross

i would just grow your nails out and see what happens