Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

If someone hits my car with their car, can I shoot them in self defense?

In this situation, my life felt threatened in this car accident because of my bodily harm during the impact.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

You can, but you would most likely get arrested because of their lack of intent to kill you.

• STEVEN F
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

You can shoot illegally, but NOT in self defense.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Well no, as that is not self defense, that is murder.

• Bruce
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I suppose if they continue to ram you again and again you could make an argument, but if they only hit you once, your right to self defense stops as soon as the threat stops. 

• 1 month ago

No one would buy that reasoning. Not police, prosecutors or judges.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

During the impact, not after the impact. During the impact, you didn't have enough time to pull a weapon and aim it and fire it. You shooting would be a reaction to the accident and a criminal one, showing intent. Premeditated.

• 1 month ago

Retaliation is NEVER legally self defense. Once that action you claim you are defending against has stopped, further action IS NOT defense. In the case of a crash, as soon as the impact occurs, there is nothing to defend against.

• 1 month ago

No. It's like if someone drops their gun by accident, it goes off, the bullet comes though your walls, kills your mother in law, you have no right to go over and shoot the gun owner.

• 1 month ago

You would have to prove it was self defense and they were trying to purposely harm you

• STEVEN F
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

You would have to prove they were CONTINUING to act in a threatening manner. Even if the crash was attempted murder, shooting after impact IS NOT self defense.

• 1 month ago

Hypothetically yes but it’s an inhuman act and you’d probably be charged with murder by the state. 

• 1 month ago

Go ahead, dawg!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.