Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

Can I get someone to pay for the damage to my house?

The police were chasing a stolen car and they hit some black ice and crashed their car into my rental house. It did a lot of damage to my garage. I filed a claim with the city for the damage and they just set on the claim doing nothing. They would not pay the claim because they said the garage was a not permitted modification to the house.

Do I need got get legal help to get someone to pay for the damage?

Favorite Answer

You can consult an attorney, sure. If the garage was indeed built without permits, you may be up a creek.

There's a difference between building without a permit and building without a permit that would never have been approved, due to the area/place where it was built, size, etc.  If the former, then they should pay for the damages.  If the latter, then it was there illegally and you can argue until the cows come home and it won't make any difference.  I question whether this garage was located where one never should have been - not enough footage to the property on the other side or whatever.  I don't know the reason why it was built without a permit but IF it was only to save money and a contractor of sorts built it, then consult a lawyer.  There are no guarantees that a lawyer can get anything for it but, as it stands, you aren't getting anything.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
  • falcon

Have a talk with an attorney they will try to find all kind of exuses not to pay you

its going to be up to your insurance company, id contact them about it.

Friend you need to get a lawyer ASAP and Sue the insurance company of the city. And friend if you don't have homeowners insurance on your own property come on! get your insurance company involved if you're that far out of the law and don't even have insurance on your own property! I don't mean to be mean here but I don't feel sorry for you you did not protect your own Rice bowl!

You could put in an insurance claim for the damage.  It might cause your premium to go up but sounds like it would at least be more likely you'll get paid.  

• Bort

If you're renting this is not at all your responsibility to care for which is why anything you try to do at any agency or office is either just plain ignoring it or blowing it off, because they can, because you're not the owner you're renting. The property owner has to do that stuff.

you again?

no you don't need to get legal help, you just need to keep asking on here.

being that the city can have you remove the garage since it was not permitted....they did you a favor by half knocking it down...

you fail to mention what your insurance has to say about it.

• SimplytheFACTS
      1 month agoReport

you do not say if your are the OWNER of the rental or the tenant

• .

talk to your insurance rep