First time pregnancy? How did you know if you were or were not going to keep it?

I’m a 23 year old college student. I’m broke, and I would like to how to know how did you decide you were going to keep your baby or abort it? To those that chose abortion did you have any guilt afterwards?

Hi Leila, I know this is really difficult right now but please take some time and reconsider. This child is beautiful and irreplaceable. If you need any help at all or even just someone to talk this over with, I recommend giving a call to a group of women who dedicate themselves to helping young women in tough situations. They are called the Sisters of Life, you can call them at 877-777-1277 or visit https://sistersoflife.org/what-we-do/pregnancy-hel... They are so loving and understanding, at least call them to talk this through one more time. For other info you can visit http://optionline.org/ or text “HELPLINE” to 313131 Stay strong and don't be afraid, you will know great love and peace when you hold this precious child in your arms for the first time. Don't give up hope, you deserve to know the love and joy of this baby. God love you!

Consider ADOPTION. There a plenty of people who can't have children, but would love to have a family.

• edward

My wife and i were smart. We got married before we started to have kids, we got the finances in order and had a serious talk about it before hand. My friend and his girlfriend had their baby at 17, i don’t know what they thought about before they decided to have a son together. My sister did abort one. First she was 19, not ready and young. Her boyfriend left her before she found out and she didn’t even have her college degree yet. She didn’t have to think hard about it. She thought “i can’t support myself, never mind a baby.”

Did you see the move Alien?  I'm not letting something like that grow in me.

I knew I was going to keep the baby because I never became pregnant by accident.

• KatieC

My husband and I had just bought a house and paid for our wedding with the plan that we’d have time to save some money before we had kids. We found out I was pregnant about 3 weeks after the honeymoon. All our plans of saving up and spending time getting to just be married were gone in a second. We wanted kids eventually, but we had planned for at least 2-3 years down the road. We talked about abortion during one of those 2am “what the hell are we gonna do?” freakouts, and then never again. Now, I can’t imagine it being any other way. I still think we weren’t ready, but it’s okay. My little girl is the best thing that ever happened to me. 

That being said, I’ll be totally honest and say what most people won’t. I do sometimes regret things we could have done and do sometimes wish we would have had more time to ourselves before having kids. We made the decision that was right for us, but you are the only one that can make your decision. 

We got pregnant with one of our children when we had no money. There was never a question of taking the child's life any more than we would have taken the life of one of older daughters to solve our financial problems. 

We just did the next thing we needed to do each day to go forward.  

Day by day, year by year, things got better. 

Today, 23 years later, there is nothing, not one thing, for which we would trade one of our daughters. 

I've never been pregnant, but one of my close friends was and decided to get an abortion. She's regretted it everyday since, and thought it was the right decision because she was financially struggling. I do hope you keep your baby, as I believe that abortions are emotionally bad for the mother. If you're at all doubting getting an abortion, don't do it. Trust me, when you baby is born, you won't regret keeping him/her. 

• leeceve

Every woman I know who has considered abortion has been grateful that they decided to keep their baby. Every mother I know loves their child so much even though they had to make many sacrifices for them.

Abortion was never an option for me, so it didn't even come into play.  I chose adoption and have never regretted the decision for a single second.   Final line though, no one's experience matters but yours.  YOU make the decision, and what worked for me or the next person may not apply to you at all.

As soon as I knew I was pregnant, I made an appointment at a clinic.  There was no decision - the only choices were abortion or suicide.  And given that it was the last 1980s and the only abortion clinic in town had been firebombed a few weeks earlier, trying to get a legal abortion meant risking my life.  But it was worth it.  The clinic escorts had to use bulletproof vests to cover us as we went inside.  

That was circa 1987.  I have zero regrets.  My boyfriend at the time is now my husband, and we both agree it was the best decision we ever made.  He looks at friends at work with kids and is grateful he never had to go through that.