Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesNew York City · 1 month ago

I make 52k a year and I’m moving to downstate NY what kind of life will I be able to afford in downstate?  ?

Downstate NY is my living choice I’m still going to be with in an hour driving commute of work.  I’m single have no kids and just want to enjoy the downstate NY life style.  

It would have helped had you mentioned where your job currently is.

My wife comes from downstate NY, and her old area is not a cheap one to live in. My advice would be to stay closer to your job and find a good area that combines affordability with your modest income with the fun you want.

There is no way to enjoy the "Downstate NY" lifestyle on $52k - the LoHud area is not as cheap as you think and in many cases more expensive to live in than areas of the NY/NJ Metro area

I don't know about the others, but I know Westchester county is expensive. A quick search for apartments showed them as starting at $1700 a month for one bedroom, 1 bath. That's going to be tough on a 52K salary. 

I'm sure you're aware that the closer you live towards the city, the higher the cost of living will be. At 52K it could be more difficult.

Define downstate. I live less than 100 miles north of NYC and am there often - because COL is far less here (for NY, that is . . )and we are debt free, getting GREAT benefits (pensions, SS, great health plans) and and well over 7 figures invested, plus continuing income as professional classical musicians.. Your 52K - gross OR net - is not going to "enjoy the downstate NY lifestyle".

• Mamianka
      1 month agoReport

Previous questions, you say you live in Westchester . .   and your spelling and grammar are horrible.  You talk about commutes - then say your boss flies you to other cities?  I think you are a kid - and a liar.  You quote rent prices already - why ask here???