g
g asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 1 month ago

Cleaning plastic kitchen sink?

Will be moving to a house with a plastic kitchen sink, or at least it looks and feels like plastic. I'm not sure if it's the safest or most sanitary material as I don't know it's tolerances for hot liquids and also I'm worried about the some little tiny cracks where water can settle and maybe start to grow mold or mildew over time. 

The sink is one piece along with the kitchen surface so it can't be easily removed or exchanged. There is also some light discoloration as I am not the first tenant to move into this place. I'd like to know if I can do anything to clean it and make it as sanitary as possible. 

Favorite Answer

Mold does not grow on plastic otherwise Corvette cars would be all moldy.

Anyways cleaning is easy.  Laundry bleach.  Put in the plug and add about 2 inches of water  and half a cup of bleach (a sploosh) mixed in and let it sit in the sink overnight.   You probably can scoop some of the bleach water up into your teacups that are stained brown inside and let the cups sit in the sink too and stained utensils.

Leave it and don't use the sink. Next morning drain out all the bleach water down the drain and rinse everything with clean water.  Job is done.  I hope that did not strain you too much.

35+ years Handyman

• nascar88gyrl
      1 month agoReport

A Corvette's body is fiberglass not plastic.

Probably made of Corian or something similar. Don't put boiling water on it, but should be OK with hot water and bleach. See their website for care instructions including stain removal. Record any staining on the inventory. 

• drip

Ask your rental agent, real estate agent or the owner what the sink is made out of.

Also how to clean it. And be sure you know what happens if it is damaged.

Bleach water can be used on plastic. 

Firstly do not use any kind of cream cleaner. All these cleaners have fine abrasives which create microscopic scratches which harbour dirt. Use a  trigger spray kitchen cleaner and a soft cloth. Regular cleaning will remove stains and keep it hygienic. Beach is OK too occasionally.