promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsLand Phones · 3 months ago

What was life like in the eighties ?

We're newspapers, phone books, public pay phones, TVs and video stores and cord phones at home the way of life? 

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Gadaffi and the USSR were keeping many of the 3rd Muslim rapefugees out of here...now there is an invasion to Europe 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Dan
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Everything felt possible. If we didn't have the technology, we knew we could develop with with weird science techniques. There was an innocence of the world. TV and movies were rarely nihilist cesspools...and even those that were were filled with smiles and laughter (look at tv theme intro). Women were finally reaching the power and people were accepting it and even making them heroic icons. The music was incredible for the most part, new wave in particular. Lots of people smoked wee, no one got hurt from it. Everyone knew Russia was evil and was itching to blow up the world at the push of a button (think Cobra on GI Joe) conspiracy paranoia was still mostly a few years away (when X-Files first aired) and aliens were as likely to be huggable as they were evil.  

People still beat gay people and it was considered acceptable.  HIV was believed (by the average person) likely to kill off over half the planet by year 2000.  National comedic past time was to make fun of minorities.  Most people were ignorant enough of the sciences that they believed everything on MacGyver was possibe :)

Everyone watched Roots and waited with worry on who really shot Jr.  Friday and Saturday nights were often spent self-medicating against Pacman Fever.  

• I have no answer.

• 3 months ago

Pretty good, if you had a decent income.  

My income was abysmal. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Newspapers - most people got them every day and kids still had paper routes where they delivered from bicycles (at least where I live - it's now all adults who deliver papers in trucks)

Phone books - absolutely - and I made a ton of money delivering phone books as a summer job. They paid by the piece, so if you worked - you made some serious coin

Public payphones - yep and they weren't just used by drug dealers. You had no other options outside your home.

TVs and video stores - it wasn't until the mid 80s when VHS won the war over Beta and owning home systems and renting videos became a really big thing. Going to the video rental store was a blast! Oh - and you'd get charged extra if you didn't rewind your tape before returning ;)

Cord phones - yep. Though you could also get cordless phones - the base is physically hooked up and the handset used radio frequency (I think) so you could walk around with it. We also had separate answering machines that had little tiny tapes in them!

By the 80s 8-track players were pretty much gone and we listened to a lot of music on cassette tapes. And you could do it portably with a Sony Walkman. Mix tapes were all the rage. CDs also came out in the 80s, but that was later.

Personally I think it was a terrible music era and a great TV era.

• 3 months ago

A lot more social. Less people in their phones 24 7. Everyone was in touh with nature and the finer things in life. A lot less materialism and genuine feelings anongts each other.

• 3 months ago

it was a better way of life than what I am seeing today. People did more out of doors in the real world instead of spending all of their time in the cyber world in front of a screen. People actually talked ot each other instead of texting, or using social media to communicate. The movies were better and there was no disgusting things like reality TV. And to be famous you had to actually do some awesome or infamous not just have a blog.

• y
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Yes they were, all that you listed, read the paper every day, party lines were still part of the phone system in places although, that might have been the late 70's. There were cordless phones not to be mistaken with today's cell phones. Blockbuster is the name I remember but yes, there were small video stores here and there. Same with bike and vacuum stores but those were already on their way out. One of the better decades when all was said and done.

• zeno
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Movies were better, music was better, girls

Were thinner and nicer looking, kawasaki's

Were cheaper and ran great and look much

Better, there was no hate speech or accusations

Of people being racist or sexist or xenophobic

Or tied to Russia, very little national debt,

Homes were much cheaper and better built,

Etc etc liberals screwed everything up.

• my opinion2 months agoReport

I agree with everything except blaming liberals for screwing everything up!!

• Satan
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

The 1980s was excellent  - computer games, great movies, no facebook or YA.  Superb music.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.