Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 1 month ago

Should I date a former drug dealer?

So I am currently going out with this guy and I mean he's the whole 9 - Dresses nice, clean, extremely smart, comes from a very good family, political science major, wants to go into Law like me, and he's extremely kind. However, he wasn't drinking and when I asked why he doesn't he revealed he used to be a drug addict but has been 2 years clean. But he revealed to me further he used to deal at our university before he went to rehab for 18mo. By deal, I don't mean he sold weed every now and then, I mean he sold coke, adderall, xanax, weed, lsd, shrooms, etc. Everyone at the University bought from him, we're a big party school. I mean he was the frats, athelets, even rappers plugs. He says it was a low point where he thought he was invincible and what not. Recently, when I asked him if he owed anybody money he revealed before he left he paid 1.3k to somebody he owed but that person insists he owes him 3k more. Ended up him getting everything stolen, broken into, bag over head in chair surrounded situation. After rehab, he got a couple of texts about 3k but its been over a year. I really like him. He's very sweet and I want to give him a chance, but I have had some people tell me I should walk away. It just doesn't appear fair to me he cleaned up and can't live normally as a result. It's just worrisome. 

Favorite Answer

People should certainly be given a second chance if they clean up their act. The worrying part is the 3k. If there's a chance that the person he owes might come after YOU in order to get him to pay up, then that's a problem. 

I'm sensing troll, but here goes...

He should definitely see if he can find one of his old connections to figure out where the $3K thing stands, and if it can be worked out once and for all - preferably someone who Mr. $3K is a little bit afraid of, so he would be more 'amicable' to either f**k off, or accept reasonable terms - and then f**k off.

He may have left his old life behind, but there's nothing saying that it won't crop up at some point in the future.  I'm not saying you should run, but if you stick around, you need to be ready for it.

• Blonde

Always judge a person by the fruits of their labours.

• Merry

Worrisome?

What’s worrisome here is that you are even asking this question like it’s just a small worrisome detail.

Your friends are telling you to “walk away”

Forget walking .... RUN!! 

Very very bad idea to keep dating him.   They all say they will be clean, but something always comes back in some way.  You can rationalize 100 different ways, but the cards won't ever be in your favor settling down with a guy like that.  Get out before you are too invested.  Some people figure it out while dating others get married have 2 kids and then figure out they made a huge mistake.  It's time to move on.