C.C. asked in TravelUnited StatesOrlando · 1 month ago

How much impact do the Marathons have on crowds at Disney World?

I am planning my first trip to Disney World this April. I have noticed that there is a runDisney event going on, and it just happens to be in the area that most of my group is interested in going to, Galaxy's Edge. I understand the race is early in the morning, but how much of a difference is that crowd going to be compared to if we had planned, say, the weekend after?

• MS
    Favorite Answer

The marathons do tend to bring some crowds.  They are often scheduled during times when attendance would be otherwise low, so you won't find the craziness of a holiday or a summer, but you'll definitely notice an increase in crowds as compared to other similar weeks.  The races will be in the morning hours, but the runners will usually stay a few days and enjoy the parks with their families.  

• C.C.1 month agoReport

That is good to know. I was worried with it being my first visit, it might be too crowded to enjoy it. But I guess it doesn't sound like it's that intense.

• Jerry

This is like asking whether the Orchid Society Convention is going to make a difference in how crowded Las Vegas is. Walt Disney World is enormously gigantically large. A few thousand extra people is like nothing. Be worried more about the millions of Spring Breakers who visit Florida in April than about a few hundred runners. 

• drip

Races start at 5:30am.   So they will be over by the time the park opens. Just hazarding a guess, I would think most runners would be going back to their resort, cooling off, relaxing, sleeping. So getting there when the park opens might be good. Go on some WDW blogs. Allears.net is good.  And see what is said about best times to hit the park where the race is held.

Number 1 recommendation.  Stay on site at a Disney resort!