JJ
Lv 5
JJ asked in Society & CultureRoyalty · 1 month ago

What is the purpose of the Christmas day broadcast by the British sovereign?

Why was Christmas day chosen for the broadcast instead of any other day, such as New Year day?   And what is the purpose of the Christmas day broadcast? 

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Primarily, the purpose is to build a connection between the monarch and the people. The Queen invites people into her home, ironically by their inviting her into their homes. The reason Christmas was chosen for the royal broadcast is that it echoes the common tradition of writing to distant friends at Christmas with news and thoughts at the end of another year. The royal broadcast follows a similar format and was initially broadcast using radio, availing of new technology that made such a thing possible.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Old fashioned hero worshiping but meaningless bullshit, where the surfs doff their caps and feel respectfully humble.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

If it bothers you, put on your Guy Fawkes mask, look at yourself in the mirror and masturbate.

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Just a royal tradition started by george V on the radio in 1932.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Clo
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Christmas_Mess...

It has become a tradition for the monarch to give a personal message, a re-cap of the year for Britain, the Commonwealth, and personal family milestones and events, as well as seasonal greetings.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

None in this day and age hardly anybody watches it me included.

• 1 month ago

I don't know I missed it. I miss it every time.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It was an idea by Lord Reith of the BBC to promote the Empire Service (foreunner to the World Service) to the country and the Commonwealth and only reluctantly taken up by King George V. Began on radio and then transferred to TV. For most people it was a public holiday (New Year's Day was a regular working day except in Scotland) so it was guaranteed an audience. Indeed for many years it couldn't be avoided as it was shown on all channels simultaneously. It was a chance to look back on royal events in the year and for everyone to see and hear the monarch from a time when such opportunities were rare.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It's a tradition.  Think of it a a "State of the Union" address.

• 1 month ago

• Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Confession is good for the soul, you must feel much better getting that off your chest!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.