Should I still pay my expired domain name still?

I completely and honestly forgot to renew my domain name for a year now and only got to viewing the notice emails just now.

Right now, the invoice they sent me has a status of CANCELLED.  Does that mean that I need to pay for it still even though the invoice status is cancelled?  I have no plan to renew it either after that seeing as though I failed to maintain my domain properly.

I also live chatted a customer support representative to confirm if I have any unpaid, pending, or late payments.  They replied that I have none as of now.

So am I in the clear?

• Bort
    Favorite Answer

Yes, you're in the clear. Domains are paid for in advance so the renewal notices they were sending you wasn't money you owed for services they've already performed they were notices informing you it was going to cancel and no longer exist as yours if you didn't renew.

• Lanz3 months agoReport

Yet they sent me an amount to pay in order to renew my domain, but clearly I didn't notice it.  However, that was only if I needed to pay for a renewal.  In this case, I didn't (due to forgetting about it for a year). So I can just ignore that one now, right?

If you didn't even notice the domain registration had expired and you no longer had rights to the domain for a year, it doesn't sound like you used it enough to by it back.

• Lanz3 months agoReport

So it's okay to not pay it back?  Because I don't want it anymore and my invoice is cancelled.

• Judy

you're clear

I get those all the time on my defunct website -- seven years since I stopped using the site, dissolved the business and took the website down. All it means is that nobody else has purchased that domain name yet and it's still open.

• Lanz3 months agoReport

But, does that mean that I don't have to do anything about my already expired domain anymore?  Because I don't want to continue with it anymore.