by 27 years of age, were you economically independent?

i am 27 and until 25 i was a parasite literally, and did nothing, i live in a quiet community in south of japan and thank to a pension my mother earns we live well, but i now started to study to become a male nurse, and doing quite well!, but mother keeps the payment of studies. did you study at my current age? and did you support yourself? -- warmest greetings -- tsutomu ^-^

Favorite Answer

I had a series of dead-end jobs at first, and lived with my parents for several months while recovering from illness during that time.  By 27 I was about where you are now, finishing up training for a real career.

I wouldn't think too much about the "parasite" aspect.  Our parents' society and economy presents young people with challenges they did not have to face, when they started out.  That is one reason your mother was happy to assist you.  The medical field should provide a very reliable living for you.  I wish you the best of luck.

I was 28 before I finished my education, deeply in debt.  Only then, did I finally start to prosper.

• xyzzy

I was economically independent at 18 like most of my contemporaries and those that were not became so by the age of 21.

I moved out the day after I turned 18 -- worked and attended 2 years of Collage, quit to work for 18 months then back to finish my degree.  Had my loan paid off by 27 or 28.  I did have 4 years in there with no car when I went back to College and then right after but have done ok since.  

• Diogenes
      1 month agoReport

It's also possible to defer your rewards, by getting a good education instead of squandering your youth bucking hay bales.

• e9601:

At 18 I had my own apartment, a job and a car.

Yes, and for many years.  I was financially independent at 18, when I joined the military.

• Bear

I started full time work at 16,and bought my first house at 18.

• Zirp

Questions about the answerer ("chat") are not allowed on Y!A, and there is no such thing as "economically independent" outside of Robinson-Crusoë scenarios

I was married and had a child. We rented a house

My son was living at home and working full time. Took care of his own bills. 

My daughter was married, had a Bachelor degree, living in an apartment, working 3 jobs while her husband finished his Doctorate degree.

My friend’s daughter had her Associates  degree, living at home and was working at a restaurant.  

We helped both of our kids with money for college.  It’s are paying back their own student debt.  My son is welcome to live at home as long as he wants to. He works 40/50 hours a week, pays us rent and pays his own bills. My husbands health isn’t what it use to be and our son helps out a lot at home.  Even though he is financially independent, there is a big stigmatism in our country  about living at home when you are older

You’re still young.  You’re getting yourself together and getting into a good field. Good luck. 

• KatieC

When I turned 27, I had finished college, gotten a good full-time job, been married 2 years, had a one year old daughter, and bought a house with my husband.

nope.... everyone is having fun when they are 27.....   most people in Asia are independent (or have to be independent) when they are married..... it is embarrassing when you are married and you still ask your parents money.   Most guys in my country are married when they are 29.....