Rebel
Rebel asked in SportsCycling · 1 month ago

All-Around Bicycle?

Just curious.  What would be your idea of good 'all-around' bike that could accomplish different things.  I know that one bike can't do everything.  Looking for a bike capable of doing the most.  

Favorite Answer

What immediately pops into my mind is 'touring bike'.  Lord knows it won't be either light or fast.  But, you asked for a bike that would do 'the most'.  1) You could take it off-road on a 'rails-to-trails' bike path.  2) You could use it as a daily commuter.  3) The wider tires & steel frame will have a more forgiving ride on rough city streets.  4) You can load them up...a lot.  Grocery shopping is one example.  They're designed to haul extra weight without busting wheel spokes.  5) Last but not least, touring.  Go for an overnight or week long excursion without worrying about breaking down miles from home.  They're built tough.  

Many companies make them, such as Trek, Jamis, Salsa, Specialized, Kona, Fuji, Surly & probably more.  Here's a link from Bicycling.com.  https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/a23490923/bes...  

My personal choice would be the Marrakesh Drop Bar Brooks from Salsa Bikes.  You could always add fenders & a front pannier rack later on if you felt the need.    https://salsacycles.com/bikes/marrakesh/marrakesh_...  

• Rebel
      1 month agoReport

Clearly the most detailed answer.  

• David

Hybrid, if you want a flat bar.

A Touring Bike If you want a drop bar.

If you have little or no interest in carrying stuff, a Gravel Grinder or Cyclo-Cross bike. And is OK with drop Bars.

If you can do your own wrenching, perhaps an older, rigid MTB.

These too generally become quite versatile by choosing the right tires and cassette.

No such bike exist.  There are bikes that combine the specialities and features of certain bikes into one bike.  Then these combined bikes tend to lean towards one end scale or the other.  They tend to do combined purposes fair but not as good as what the individual speciality bike could've done for it's particular purpose. 

With bicycles in order to get something really great or a speciality it means you have to give up something else.  So what I'm saying is, what is a good all around bike for me may be a terrible all around bike for you.

Go to a reputable bicycle shop  there they can fit you with a bike that'll best serve you.

Source(s): Motorized Bicycle Owner and Builder.
    • Land Rider Jerry
      1 month agoReport

Rebel you clearly didn't understand what I was telling you.  What may be the most versatile bike for my needs may not be the most versatile bike for your needs.  Go to a reputable bicycle shop there they can make recommendations as to what will work best for you.

It depends in what type of area. Hilly, middle of downtown. open level space.

• pmt853

I find my cyclo-cross does most things pretty well. It's not as good on rough terrain as my hardtail, it's not as light or fast as a road bike, but it's coped well with moderate tours with twin rear panniers, canal towpaths, and many off-road tracks, but is also reasonably speedy on city and country.