promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 3 months ago

Do I need an American driving license?

I'm 26, from the Uk. I want to go on a road trip in the US. I already have a driving license here. Do I need an American one if I want to do that?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • JetDoc
    Lv 7
    3 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Nope. It's perfectly legal for a visitor to the United States to drive on the drivers license issued from his home country. The only thing you need to remember is that Americans drive on the RIGHT side of the road, and the steering wheel is on the LEFT side of the car.

• Snezzy
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

Those of us who know how to drive horses in the Achenbach style understand quite well that although the US drive on the right side of the road, the UK drive on the correct side. Ah well, nothing can be done to change it now. We aren't Sweden.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Scott
    Lv 6
    3 months ago

No, you don't need one if you have a valid UK license. In fact you can't get one without establishing residency in one of the 50 states.

• May
    Lv 5
    3 months ago

No.  Your valid UK license is perfectly fine to drive here as a tourist.

And don't let anyone tell you that you need a International driving permit (IDP) because you don't !  It is true that some U.S. States require a IDP ** if ** the visitor's license is in a different language.  A UK license is in English so there is no need or requirement in ANY US state for a IDP.

• Bort
    Lv 6
    3 months ago

Good question! Here is the official US info for visitors:

https://www.usa.gov/visitors-driving

Looks like you need to get what's called an "IDP" (International Drivers Permit).

The official State websites have a .gov at the end and the official government (Federal / National) websites usually end with .dot.gov

The DOT (Department of Transportation) websites should have all of the information you need on the site. You may not have to actually try to contact anyone, here is an official list of each states Drivers License websites:

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/about/webstate.cfm

That's all of the official State websites, and their DOT website links. Not all of the states call the driver license centers in the same name ("DOT"), some states call those offices a DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles), DLC (Drivers License Centre), or something else. The link above should lead you to the info you need regardless of what that state calls it's drivers license service center.

So you know...if you find a 'things to do' or tourism link on the state websites some of them may not include all of the tourist stuff in that state you might be interested in that can be done. Those tourism links are sometimes dumb but they might actually be useful to you too if you're looking for museums and historical landmarks and that sort of thing.

If you're looking for adult kinds of things to do like night clubs, bars, concerts and things like that researching night clubs or sports arena's is a good place to start. Bars and clubs can be found easily in the US. They're all over the place and they usually have big bright neon beer signs or of course you can just politely ask locals where the fun's at and they'll surely have some suggestions.

• Robsteriark
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

No IDP required for holders of driving licenses which are written in English. An IDP is simply an internationally agreed format which translates the main facts from the holder’s regular driving license into other languages. UK driving licences (UK spelling) are issued in English.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 months ago

no ..your licence is ok ..but beware locals ..they overtake both sides and ..stay in fast lane ..if indicated a lot of right turns are allowed on red !..on 4 way stops its them then you ..and be prepared to drive much slower than at home ..

• Ding Dong
      Lv 6
      3 months agoReport

Our speed limit isn't that different to yours and people do that in the UK.

• 3 months ago

The UK have an agreement with the US, with a UK licence you can hire a vehicle and drive it there.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.