TGB asked in Games & RecreationGambling · 1 month ago

How do you defend yourself against aggressive players in anonymous fast fold poker, who attack weakness?

One thing I'm having trouble with in poker is aggressive players who attack weakness.

Just as an example, I have KJ | AJ578 as the preflop aggressor. I check back on the flop in position, and then my opponent attacks the board OTT and OTR.

Because it's anonymous fast fold poker, I can't tell whether it's an aggressive player, or if they just have a good hand.

Basically, I feel as though:

1 - They aren't bluffing often enough in this situation for me to call them down

2 - They ARE bluffing often enough for me to be unhappy about having to fold the better hand often against aggressive players.

Could I have anything in my checking range to profitably defend against such players? Like draws, for example?

// Short answer: call turn, and if it was heads-up to the flop, I lean toward calling a reasonable river bet, but am not certain either because it depends on the rest of your strategy. If you folded every time you didn't have ace+, I think Villain could profit by firing two barrels every time you checked back the flop. Your point #1 may be true, but given the anonymous format, I'm only trying to think of what's optimal. If you knew #1 for a fact (eg by poring over your hand history), then you could safely ignore GTO and just fold there until the population tendencies changed. //

Villain's bet sizing is an important factor in your decision. Assuming we're not talking about overbets, you at least have to call the turn bet. On the river, consider where KJ ranks (combo-wise) in your range of hands that check the flop and call the turn. Blockers are a factor in forming the ranking, because often they're more important than the showdown ranking. Also take into consideration that some of your nothing hands will be used as bluff-raises, which reduces the number of bluff-catchers you have to call with.

Spots like these are why you'll sometimes check an ace on the flop. The goal isn't to profitably defend, but to prevent Villain from profitably bluffing without draw equity or range advantage. As for draws, yes, sometimes you'll check back a flush draw, mainly so that there are flushes in your range when the board puts a possible flush out. Some of your draws will call turn, and then most missed draws will fold river but some will bluff. Plus some draws will hit the river. All these things can combine to deny him from getting easy money.

This is why off-the-table preparation is required for such games. Unless you have a bunch of population reads/exploits, anonymous poker is just a test of who can play closer to GTO. When it comes to that, too many spots are too complicated to decide on-the-fly. In fact many spots are hard off-the-table too without the help of a solver. (And that's why, for now, I stick to easy games.)

Btw, check out the youtube channel AlvinTeachesPoker. His whole thing is finding simplified ranges whenever possible, eg. turning a mixed strategy into a pure one while barely sacrificing EV.