promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Do headphone jack converters lead to a loss in audio quality?

I am looking at getting a Google Pixel 2 and the biggest drawback for me is that the phone lacks a headphone jack. There are converters, however I was wondering if in using a converter if there is a loss in audio quality? 

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 months ago

Yes, every time an additional device is added to the signal chain, there will be some loss of audio quality. However, you are talking about a phone and compressed music. There is already some loss in the audio quality with compression, so you cannot get sterophile quality hi fi out of your phone and headphone in the first place. Any additional loss of audio quality is not going to make much of a difference.

• Robert J
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

Totally wrong - digital audio can be stored, processed and transferred endlessly with zero change in quality.
      The "adapter" is contains the ADC rather than it being in the phone as with older ones.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 3 months ago

There should be no loss of quality with an adapter.

• 3 months ago

As long as you get a genuine / good quality adapter that is properly designed, the quality should be identical to using a built-in headphone socket.

It may even be slightly better, as the audio electronics could be better isolated from any power supply noise.

• ...Show all comments
    • Robert J
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

It is pretty low level in phones generally, but it can never be zero as long as conductors and components have resistance & reactance.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.