promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 3 months ago

Computer in power save mode . No display . How to fix?

Is it a failed on board graphics card or is it because of cmos battery .

Even after removing old battery still in power save mode no display.

Do i buy cmos battery or graphics card?

Update:

From everything I'm reading in my computer repair book since the computer was built before 2002 it doesn't load defaults.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago
    Favorite Answer

the battery provides power to the CMOS values(your BIOS settings) you MUST have VALID cmos values otherwise the system may give unpredictable results when switched on including NO DISPLAY. remove the cr2032 battery, and use the JUMPER moved across set to CLR position for 15 seconds then put the JUMPER back to the NRM(normal) position. Now all CMOS values are ZERO'ed. Start the PC and Enter the BIOS and LOAD DEFAULTS, SAVE the settings and restart the pc. Re-Enter the BIOS and choose any preferences such as Performance settings or manual settings for hard drive or enable/disable ports such as printer/sound etc, then save and restart the pc. ** you cannot operate a pc without a working( must be more than 3.0 volts cmos battery fitted eg 2.9 volts is NOT enough) **. If the pc still gives NO display then it may be because the mainboard GPU connection is DISABLED by an ADD ON gpu card. Remove any add on card to get the mainboard gpu connection working. There could be a jumper ofr disabling the onboard gpu but this practice was stopped about ten years ago.

• AtlasRedux3 months agoReport

Bullcrap answer. The BIOS defaults to standard settings if the battery is out of power and works just fine.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • keerok
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

If it was the battery, the computer should still work. BIOS will warn you about replacing the CMOS battery somehow and if you have no time to do so, you can continue booting using the default BIOS values or you can change but saving won't work for the next boot. Replacing the battery and setting the BIOS date and time would remove the error.

If it was the graphics card, there should be no display, erratic display, visible errors in the display or won't boot at all. In the last case, you should hear a beep error code. Replacing the video card would solve the problem.

I suspect there's a blown capacitor on the motherboard. You can check it visually by disconnecting everything and taking it out. If it's just a capacitor or two, you should be able to replace them with some basic electronics skills.

• 3 months ago

CMOS battery doesn't matter. The computer still boots. BIOS settings just resets every time you reboot. And it could be a hundred different things that is wrong.

• 3 months ago

Why would you think it's the cmos battery? Do you not have another display to test? Power saving is at the OS level. You didn't mention if this is a laptop or work station. What type of display connector is it? I would just throw money at it. That tends to fix most my problems. If money is an issue for you. Good will has sometimes spare electronic parts. Say a cheap display monitor. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.