Will a 2013 car w 72K miles last long..? ?

My car was totalled, still waiting on check, and my dads motor just blew up on his truck so we have one vehicle for 3 working ppl in house. 

I wanna just take out a loan to get a car then pay it off when I get the check. My first car I got a new car w big downpayment but it depreciated wayy to quickly and I don’t want more debt hanging over my head if another guy is gonna hit me anyways. (Other driver at fault for my car.) 

I know Hondas last forever and found a 2013 CRV with 72k miles at about $12,000. 

That will be just enough from insurance check, so I can have car paid off and not have to worry about car payments. 

Mom and dad keep complaining tho, that I want a car w 72K miles, when everything else is like $6,000 more for less miles.... 

Are they being dramatic..? Ive heard someone say their honda has 400K and still runs good so I dont see a problem with this car, but dad gets used dodges that apparently keep blowing motors and he thinks same thing will happen w a used honda... 

I averaged 15K miles/year w my last car, mostly driving back and forth to walmart... 

• g

Whether or not the 72k mileage car has it's integrity would entirely depend on how well and thoroughly it has been serviced and maintained throughout its life.

Can the seller show PROOF it has?  If so, it has potential.  If not, it would be risky.  

Who knows?  72K is average mileage. How long a car lasts depends on how it's driven and maintained.

• Scott

It depends entirely on how it's taken care of.

Seems like a reasonable price, vehicle should last a long time if you take care if it.

Something to consider: You can rent a midsize car for about $30 per day, so if you are expecting an insurance check within a few days, it might be cheaper to just rent a car for a few days instead of paying the loan origination fees and finance charges only to pay off the car loan right away.

• Bort

72k is a low average for used vehicle miles. When it gets up over 100k miles is when it's something to consider. As long as a vehicle is maintained properly with it's fluid changes done regularly as is supposed to be done most newer vehicles 2006 and newer go for at least 300k miles or more.

There are other charges to buying a vehicle that will raise the price you actually pay substantially. And maybe your parents concern is that you don't spend ALL of the money coming to you so you have some left over for savings to use toward preparing yourself for the future and that sort of thing which is good advice you should consider following. Your parents are suggesting finding a cheaper vehicle because they're probably right it's in your best interest to have money left over.

• Julie1 month agoReport

Actually it’s the opposite. I want a cheaper car to be able to save some, and they’re weary of me not spending enough money. 

72,000 miles is not a big deal at all.   That is a fairly reasonable price that they are asking, but it is in your interests to offer them less. Make sure that it is thoroughly inspected before you commit in any way.

How long it will last depends on how hard or gently it was driven by the previous owner, and whether they followed the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual, or let it go too long before getting serviced. It's also going to depend on how you treat it yourself. And, of course, there's a certain element of luck. Some cars are just better than others right out of the factory. 

If I were you, I'd go to the nearest dealership, give them the VIN, and have them pull up the maintenance records out of the national Honda database. Of course, if Honda didn't service it, there won't be any and you'll have to rely on owner records, if any are with the vehicle.

The other thing you would be wise to do is have a very thorough pre-buy inspectiion done, and not by who is selling the vehicle UNLESS it is being sold by a Honda dealership and comes with their CPO warranty. It's worth spending up to a couple hundred for a good pre-buy inspection if it saves you from buying a lemon. You can always try to negotiate with the seller on who pays the cost of the pre-buy inspection. Some will at least share it. Some might knock that much off the price of the car if you buy it.

Bottom line, buy with your head, not your heart.

While Hondas are well built vehicles, and that's a reasonable price for a CR-V of that age and mileage, I would ask why you feel you need an SUV, as opposed to an actual car.

2013 Honda Civics with similar mileage can be had for $9K. If all you're driving is home to stores, an SUV is the last thing you need.

PS. The sad part is that my current car, a 2009 Kia Rondo is a fabulous car, and I'd recommend the model, but 1) They changed the body style between 2012 and 2014 (There was no actual 2013 Rondo) to one with a bit less interior space, and 2) they discontinued the model in 2017, though it also 2A) was pulled from the US market some years before then.

• ANDRE L
      1 month agoReport

And, looking at CarGurus, the Honda Odyssey minivan with the same age, 2013, and similar mileage, around 75K on average, also runs around $12-$14K. I'd suggest looking in that direction.

If it has a CVT, stay away.  If it has a conventional torque converter automatic, it will easily make it to 200k miles if properly maintained.

Did you own your last car outright?  You may not be able to get a 2nd car loan until the first one is paid off.

Hondas can blow motors too. The just usually don't as often. But I saw a 3 year old honda with 29,000 miles blow a motor because they never changed the oil. Honda refused to fix it under warranty because it was abuse.

Saw a low mileage other brand go thru a dealer auction with low miles and a knocking motor. A friend of mine bought it thinking it was still under factory warranty but they too refused to fix it for free. I think it was a Hyundai ?

• Julie1 month agoReport

I dont want thousands of debt hanging over my head again, especially if Im just gonna get hit again and money goes towards loan rather than new car, so I just want something cheaper for now but not cheap enough for motors to blow up... (I do get regular oil changes)