network connecting issues?

I have been having issues with my wireless internet connecting on my laptop. (will not stay connected) so i chose the "forget" option to restarted a connection, when i chose my network it asked for a pin i enterd it & it said "windows cant get the settings from the router" what should i do?

Favorite Answer

Yeah a router reboot would be the next thing to try. Sometimes they can act up and prevent some devices from connecting successfully while others work fine.

• VP
      1 month agoReport

Dang!  I can't catch a break. Conclusion -- stupid people suck.  🤣

in most cases the reasons for disconnection are either a) the wifi card in the pc does not like the wifi chip in the router eg mismatch in algorithms provided or in capabilities. b) power saving features on the wifi card are incompatible with the router. ways to fix the issues include 1) force the wifi signal to be ALWAYS ON in the pc(see your Power Scheme detailed settings 2) Fix the IP address allocated to the pc to a set value. Usually you do that in the router by ticking a box that says something like Always use this IP for this PC(ie with a known MAC address). This will prevent any re-assignng of a new IP for a pc that disconnects. The third way is more tricky. A wifi card has many settings. In each case these each have many values such as AUTO/ON/OFF/DETECT and so on. There are some for SPEED and some for ALGORITHMS and you would neet to adjust these and NOT allow AUTO, but set to FIXED values so they are NOT allowed to be negotiated. Since each card is different i cant guess which settings are causing the issue but the general idea is turn down(fixed value non auto) the capabilities of the pc wifi card until it works with the router.

• VP

If no one else is using the router, unplug it for 20 seconds and plug it back in.  Give it a minute to reboot and try again.  

Tell us what happened afterward.