Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 1 month ago

Lower insurance?

I want to buy this SS Camaro at my job. But i got quoted $300 a month on insurance! I need to get it lowered to go forward! I am 20 with great credit and a clean driving record. What can i do to lower it?

20 Answers

Relevance
  • zipper
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Shop around, there are a lot of companies out there that will LOVE your business. I perferr Geico myself. They treat me real good!

• Login to reply the answers
  • Poppy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Pay cash for the car , and run with liability only insurance. Alternatively, wait until you are closer to 30 to buy a muscle car.

• 1 month ago

Shop around if you'd like, but a 20 year old driving a fancy sports car you're going to pay a lot for insurance. Good thing you have great credit and a clean driving record, because without those your insurance would be even higher - if you could even get insurance.

If you can't afford $300/ month for insurance, then you can't afford to drive that car at this time in your life. Buy a cheaper car with cheaper insurance, and try again when you're older and have more money.

• 1 month ago

Don't buy the vehicle.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Simple:  Build a time machine and fast forward ten years or so.

You're only 20 (anything under 25 is considered underage to any insurance company), you're buying a really expensive vehicle (expensive car = expensive insurance, no exceptions), and you don't have much of a clean driving record.  Sure your record is clean, but you're still new to driving.  That matters to insurance companies.  You're also probably male, which also matters.  People with testicles crash harder and more often than people without them, and every insurance company in the world knows it.

You could buy an old beater that barely makes it up to freeway speeds, something you wouldn't purchase Collision coverage for, but old beaters aren't as cool as a Camaro SS.  You could get sex change surgery (only the surgery counts, they don't care how you identify), but the operation would cost way more than what you'd save on insurance, so that's not really an option either.  And pretending it's your Granny's vehicle won't work, because they all already know that trick.  They've seen it a million times this month alone, so they won't believe you.

That leaves only one option.  You have to build a time machine.

• Snezzy
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Major advantage of the time machine is that if you are going to build it, you already have it! Aim it for January 2020, and it'll be right in your back yard. Now!! Or maybe somewhere else. Accuracy is never guaranteed on those Acme time machines.

• Bort
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Sports cars are automatically more expensive to insure just because of being a sports car. Probably because insurance carriers see them as a greater risk than a mom car like a caravan because people drive sports cars like a sports car: fast.

One thing I can think of if you can do is buy it out-right if you have the money to do that. That way you won't be required to get full coverage on it which will decrease the cost of insuring it.

• May
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

You can become married or become age 25 or live in a area that has lower insurance rates......or you can drive a different vehicle.  A Camaro is among the most expensive cars to insure at any age or marital status.

• 1 month ago

Try Progressive auto insurance.

• 1 month ago

You need to get older or move to a place where insurance costs less. The price of insurance is based mostly on the age of the driver and where the driver lives. Even if you do nothing, it will be lower in 5 years, because you'll be 25 and not 20. But if you need it lower now, then you need to live where insurance costs less than where you live now.

• 1 month ago

Your credit has zilch to do with your insurance price.

Have you shopped around ? But, the odds that you will be able to slice, say, a third off of that aren't good. Because you ARE 20 years old.

You're better off with an older car, of relatively low value, and with only liability insurance, while driving carefully enough to not have an accident for the next five years. That will build a driving record that will get your costs down.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.