Whats the highest miles you experienced with original transmission fluid?

Hello I been wanting to get your guys opinions about this for a long time please comment . Little history I had a Older camry over 300k fluid flushed once at 100k My buddy got 97 v6 camry original trans fluid no prob same with old ford van and a lexus i saw es kind also I seen subaru with cvt all original fluid 280k plus I'm sure there are many more out there untouched with high miles if its you let me know!

Now I got a 18 camry with sealed The book manual goes up to 150k and never mentions atf change says IF needed go to dealer thats it . One dealer told me to do it every 30k $$$bs the other one said never touch it like the manual says lol I'm very skeptical anyone doing job one mistake can ruin it I heard ppl had problems after service . I keep my cars for long time drive em nice so I wanna make it last . Do any of you drive high mileage cars with original ATF? Should I ever change my 8 speed at on camryf?? I feel like its best not to change it cause manual says not to and I seen many go over 300k w original fluid!!

My old mechanic says to leave it alone 4 ever many others say for long life must change regularly I cant make up my mind when the day comes please help

• Bort
    Favorite Answer

I'm 44 years old and have been working in the field of mechanics for just about 30 years. In my experience and opinion if you mess with a transmission at all when it's not having problems 9 times out of 10 the person ends up causing transmission problems.

I have never, not even once, changed transmission fluid on any of the vehicles I personally owned. For friends and clients that ask about it unless they're having some kind of transmission problem my suggestion is:

Leave it alone.

If it's not broken don't "fix" it. If you mess with something that's not broken you're taking the risk of breaking it.

One of my vehicles is a 1967 Impala that I bought in 1997. To my knowledge the transmission fluid has never been changed in it. I also have 90s vehicles that were bought both new and used - none of my vehicles have ever had trans fluid changed for no reason other than just to change it.

Transmission pans have forever been made not to have a drain plug for a reason. Newer vehicles don't even have a dipstick to check the transmission fluid with for a reason and that reason is you're supposed to leave it alone.

If it was something that was supposed to be changed or done regularly it would have been set up so it wasn't a pain in the butt to do. It would have a drain plug and a separate fill tube and a way to test the fluid level. The only way to drain a transmission of it's fluid is to remove some of the bolts in the pan and break it's seal or take the pan completely off.

Transmissions should only be messed with if there's a problem.

If you read user manuals for most cars, its says that replacement of the transmission fluid depends on the usage of the vehicle. For example, if the vehicle tows a lot then it would require changing more often as the transmission fluid isn't only for lubrication and pressure, its also for cooling. The higher the load, the hotter the fluid gets. Heats breaks down fluid regardless if its synthetic or mineral. 

I have never changed transmission fliud and have had vehicles go over 200,000 MILES with no problem. Transmission oil is not subjected to the same forces that engine oil gets.

• Brs3 months agoReport

good to hear i'm deff not touching my sealed now 

I've literally never changed transmission fluid in any vehicle I've ever owned, and most have gone 180K+ before I got rid of them (and that was driving them hard).

230,000 Checked it,

it does not smell Burnt still Looked red and changes easily and quietly

Replace the fluid according to the owner's manual.  Cut the interval in half or follow the severe service interval if you want the transmission to last until the wheels fall off.