Kris asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 2 months ago

My boyfriend has bad credit and it’s affecting how I feel about our relationship ?

My boyfriend has horrible credit, he claims it’s because he trusted the wrong person with his credit card at one point in time.( An who racked up the bill and never paid. )

I have been trying to find a new apartment for us to move into for over 6 months now, but I’m finding it Impossible. With every renter wanted credit scores 650+, we are never approved... even with my excellent credit and adequate income. 

I’ve started thinking about how his bad credit will affect us in the future. (Mortgages, loans, etc.)  he’s a good guy and I do love and care about him but I have to admit dealing with his bad credit is stressful and is making me feel hopeless and he has no ambition to try and improve his credit. I’ve suggested looking into what and who he owes money to, but he just blows it off.

I struggled my whole life as a child (financially) and I just don’t want to struggle throughout adulthood. 

• n2mama
    Favorite Answer

You don’t say how long you’ve been together, but if the credit card incident was years ago and he has remained current on all other bills, etc since, his credit should be slowly improving. If it isn’t, that’s a huge red flag that he is being less than truthful with you about what is actually going on. The bigger issue is that he doesn’t seem to be inclined to do anything about it. Is he embarrassed about it? Does he not want you to know how bad it really is? Or is something else at work here?

Is it worth ending a relationship over? Nobody knows that but you, but money issues are certainly a huge source of stress in relationships. 

The really important part of this discussion isnt his bad credit...this is the problem...

"he’s a good guy and I do love and care about him but I have to admit dealing with his bad credit is stressful and is making me feel hopeless and he has no ambition to try and improve his credit. I’ve suggested looking into what and who he owes money to, but he just blows it off."

So, if you have kids and a mortgage and something comes up thats not easy to deal with...is he going to be an ostrich?  I'd tell him how important the whole credit thing is to you and go from there. 

Is he doing anything to fix it?

• Judith

Do NOT move into an apartment with him unless you can afford to pay the entire rent, utilities and food and still meet your own personal bills.  He will bring you down.  And for heaven's sake, don't marry him.  In fact  you should dump him.  It concerns me that he is blaming someone else for HIS POOR DECISIONS.  I suspect that isn't his only poor financial decision.

Life is short.  Don't waste your time on someone like this.  Better to be alone then with a loser.

It takes many years to recover from bad credit. Might want to move on to a responsible person. Rather than have him drag you down.

I can't blame you.  I'd be annoyed too.  I'd probably break up with him.  He made a reckless decision and HE failed to pay off HIS credit card.  Blaming it on the other guy is insane.  Your bf gave him an advance on his credit card and then your bf failed to pay.  That's not just reckless - it's stupid.  I think you can do better.  "We" are not actually how they determine whether your credit is sufficient.  They qualify you individually.  So you may qualify and he does not.  Find your own place.  Tell him he can visit but he can't stay with you because he was denied.   If you let him stay overnight, you will be evicted.  Right - don't screw up your life over any man.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • mokrie

This is a major red flag. Money is one of the main reasons marriages fall apart. One is careful with money and credit and the other is not and love dies. Think carefully about this romance as people usually never change and his not caring about this will continue in all financial matters. It will always be dumped on you to handle.