Zoe asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

is this incorrect?

I had a speaking for French. I said "Ma famille allions á une espace vert avec moi. Nous jouions le foot et la basket. " Is that wrong? Would it be allait even if I was included? 

Favorite Answer

From me as a native French person it's wrong. In fact it depends on if you want to use the past or the present:

Present: '' Ma famille et moi allons à un espace vert, nous allons jouer au football et au basket ''. 

Imperfect: '' Ma famille et moi allions à un espace vert et jouions au football et au basket ''.

Sorry but it's all wrong, Zoe; You have to say:

Ma famille et moi, nous allions  jouer au foot et au basket dans un espace vert. (je suis française)

'Nous' is plural, but 'ma famille' is singular, regardless of how many or how few people are in it.

• Lôn

Yes, it should be 'ma famille allait...'

You could say 'nous allions...' instead

• Zirp

Depends on what you want to say. it looks like a conditional. If you mean a perfect tense or "used to", then yes, it would be wrong

Better would be to start with "Moi et ma famille allons  ... )", or "Moi et ma famille nous allons ..."

• Francine
      1 month agoReport

Moi et ma famille is not correct, you have to say "ma famille et moi" ( the others always first).

I can't begin to tell you how many errors that sentence has.

And yes, it should be "allait" because it is ONE family (singular), and "allions" is the first plural form, for "nous" ("we"). 

• Zoe1 month agoReport

Ah sorry, my French is really bad.