chumley asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Are there any motels or hotels where my 2 little dogs can stay and be left unattended while I go to training for my job? ?

I'd likely be at class in mornings and afternoons and back to the room at lunch.

Forgot this important detail-I can't board my dogs because the boy isn't neutered. Former owners didn't have it done 6 years ago when I got him, and when it came time for me to have it done I couldn't bring myself to do it. 

Btw he's never with any other dogs but his spayed sister. They have a big backyard to play in so please no remarks about being an irresponsible pet owner.

How in hll do any of you KNOW that a dog isn't "emotionally attached to his testicles"?? DID YOU ASK? The answer is YOU DON'T.

Favorite Answer

Yes, I have heard of them. petswelcome.com

• *****
      1 month agoReport

You think an air bnb host is going to allow your dogs to be left in their home unsupervised? Each host sets their own rules for pets. I've never encountered one that let dogs stay on property alone. 

Yes there are many places where you can have your dog in the room, in a crate and pray it will not bark at every noise or you get tossed.

What kind of a moron does not have their pet spayed or neutered?  That's right YOU!

La Quinta Motor Inn allows pets. I use to work for them.

I think most motels/hotels won't allow this and if they did, the dog would have to be crated in the room for sure.   I'd not want to leave mine alone in a hotel room, even in their crate - NOISE!!

If you can't have a home sitter while you are away, then fgs. board them.   I know of no boarding kennel where they'd insist on only taking castrated dogs.

• Trisha

Dogtopia or some other dog daycare

Never heard of one. The problem, aside from possible barking/peeing on the furniture/ chewing on the carpet, is liability. If someone, like one of the motel's staff, goes into the room and gets attacked by a dog, that's a problem, and the motel's insurance policy probably specifies that no dogs be in a room unattended.

I don't know what the male being intact has to do with not being able to board him. I know several intact makes who get boarded.

Dog boarding facilities are intended to deal with what dogs do. Motels are not.

• *****

So, no issues with spaying your female, but "can't bring yourself" to neuter your male? He's not a human, he is not emotionally attached to his testicles. 

No. Hotels and motels don't allow dogs to be left unattended in the rooms. I have never encountered one that would even allow them to be left crated in the room, normally the policy is a very firm "no pets unattended in the room". It's a liability issue if staff must enter the room, as well as an issue with messes or damage to the room, and noise disturbing nearby occupants of other rooms. You will need to make other arrangements for your pets.

There are some boarding facilities that do allow intact males, generally those that kennel all dogs separately and do not offer any group play time. Many veterinarians will offer this.  However, your dog would then be kenneled pretty much constantly except bathroom break and perhaps short walks. You can hire a pet sitter to watch them in your home, or you can suck it up and neuter your dog so you can use doggy daycare facilities or any kennel you would like. It's a fairly minor procedure with quick recovery.

• *****
      1 month agoReport

While I personally think it's silly, if it makes you feel better, you can also have the vet install prosthetic testicles (neuticles) during the neuter for an additional fee. 

i would call them up and ask them

While many hotels do allow dogs, I know of NONE that allow them to be left unattended. Its a liability to the housekeeping and a risk of dogs causing damage.

Consider having the dogs BOARDED instead.

• mokrie

Put your dogs in a kennel and then travel or get sued for replacing carpeting in your motel room.