Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Why do I find it weird to address my parents anything?

To specify, I don’t refer to my mom or dad by any name (e.g. mom, mommy, ma, anything). I used to call my mom “mama” when I was much younger, but I never really called my dad anything at all, I think because I didn’t see him as often. However, now I’ve grown up to not call them anything and the names “mom” and “dad” feel awkward for me to use to address them.

For some reason I just can’t bring myself to address my mother as “mama” anymore (my native language way of saying “mom”) and “dad” just doesn’t roll off my tongue right either. I should point out that I love both my parents very much, we have healthy parent-daughter relationships but now that I’m nearly an adult I’ve realized that I have been doing this whole “Hey.....you” thing essentially for years. And although my dad has expressed concern for this, which makes me feel terrible and understand even more that this SHOULD come naturally to me, I just can’t help but still feel a bit awkward and weird especially if I started calling them mom and dad after years of not having done so. I wish I didn’t have a problem with this, but it bothers me and even more so that they may be upset about it.

Your their kid call them mom or dad. Good grief this generation doesnt know if their a boy or girl. Now it's why should I address mom or dad by mom or dad. Get a life fools

• Ocimom

They are STILL your mother and father.  Sit down with them and discuss your problem and hopefully y'all can come up with an answer that works for everyone.  I don't suggest you call them by their first name; IMO that is rude and hurting to your mother and father.

I completely get this! I can't do it either or call teachers by their names.

call him "forgive me father but im horn"y

maybe you should try calling them mom and dad

Make an appointment with your school counselor. Are you autistic? That is one of the signs.