Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Why do home improvement shows show so much irresponsible demolition?

I am a painting and drywall contractor. I am always in shock that the don't use dust barriers when dealing with high potential for lead paint and asbestos. I always where a jump suit over my clothes when I sand, scrape or otherwise disturb drywall. I know this isn't enough, but those disposable suites don't fit me. I need an XLT and that is pushing it. The sleeves are way too short on disposables. The crotch to neck distance is too short. I simply can't get them on without shredding them. I know this is not enough. I even have a small washing machine I only use for work clothes, they don't get washed with everything else.

If I have to remove drywall, I unscrew it, score it, fold it, bag it. Always have barriers up. Always HEPA vac everything.

With little or no protection, have at it with sledge hammer? That is crazy. Will they all have lung cancer later? With the children be retarded? Why doesn't OSHA or EPA step up? I know contractors who have been fined $50,000+ and up settling for maybe $5,000 for the first offense. They will put you out of business for the 2nd or 3rd time.

• Droopy
    Favorite Answer

Because your mistaking reality tv as actual reality. Before the show stars get dirty they already know if its lead or asbestos.  An there only putting that sledge threw the wall few times till they get there shots.  Then real men show up an do the work an fix what they screw up to get there money shots. 

• I care

You are the kind of contractor I should had hired to remove my tub and put in a shower.  No plastic was put up in my hallway....so all that dust went everywhere.

Doesn't your contract avoid the possibility of someone bringing charges against you?

One painter I had wasn't paid sometimes by others,  and this made me sick.  As he is an excellent painter and proved professional doing jobs for my home.

Many were wealthy people,  that think they don't owe people....not all this way.

• y

Those shows tend to test for lead and asbestos prior to demo, sometimes talked about and sometimes, not mentioned. Although many talk about regs, regs tend to be more local focus, many of the things I see them do would not be allowed where I am. I am so glad that you take the time and the extra expense to go the extra mile and protect yourself. You can now pat yourself on the back

Because it is nothing more than a fake TV show. These are not real contractors they are actors. None of these reality shows on TV are real. They are all fake. The only one that is even close to real is Shark Tank. 

"when dealing with high potential for lead paint and asbestos."  THAT IS THE ANSWER.  Asbestos and lead paint are NOT a high potential anymore.  More likely radiation from RADON GAS.  "Kidding".  Even that is light.  And they are dying off when 80 or 90(so not unusual) & not from Asbestosis, but more from cigarette smoking lung cancer or car accidents and falling off the roof or suffer a workplace CRUSH.(their own fault) or heart attacks. or old age.

50+years painter(so familiar with drywall sanding dust hazards)  Have not used Lead paint myself since the 60's(and then only on special projects where they really PAY the big money.)  It is a specialized oil based paint.

Worked in houses built in the 30's where they had a coal fired furnace and zonolite insulation(which has asbestos in it)  Heat ducts from the furnace were wrapped with asbestos tape.  Used the tape also to write messages.  Asbestos is a rock fiber, it is not radioactive...nor lurking in corners of modern houses.

Most reno shows do fairly recent builds renovating them.

Chip Gaines or Jonathan Scott slam a sledgehammer because it's good television and it "appeals to the male viewer."  They do none of the work themselves beyond the "money" shot.  As soon as the cameras stop rolling, the professionals come in and do the demolition and reconstruction based on local codes and OSHA standards.  In those episodes where they "find" asbestos, termites, galvanized pipes, knob and tube wiring, etc., they already know or strongly suspect it's there.   Take everything you see on "reality" television with a huge grain of salt. 

• skeptik
      1 month agoReport

True.
      And when there actually IS lead or asbestos, you never see the sledgehammer move.

Drywall doesn't contain lead or asbestos.

And the shows don't just guess about a "high potential" for hazardous materials - they actually test for them.  When lead or asbestos is present, they absolutely do use full isolation and remediation procedures.  By certified removal specialists.

As you're a painting and drywall contractor rather than a certified lead or asbestos removal contractor, I don't know why you would expect anyone to give your paranoid opinion any particular merit.

• STEVEN F
      1 month agoReport

If he was a contractor of ANY sort, he would know the difference between a suite and a suit.