Australian fires cause?

Does anyone know the cause to the fires in Australia? Is there even a way of 100 percent knowing? I’ve heard people have started them, but I’ve heard it could’ve been from lightning. 

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

No there is no way of 100 percent or even 50 percent, most fires are just put down to 'unknown origin' but lightning seems to be the main cause. Obviously nobody will be there to see it but weather satellites can detect if there have been lightning strikes within a designated area and match them to the time the fire was detected.

Other sources include cars, power tools,falling power lines, welding, outdoor bbqs, people discarding lit cigarette butts,kids playing with matches, but overwhelmingly its the constant record-breaking hot dry windy conditions, only last week outer Sydney was the hottest place on the entire planet.

• iansand
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Arson happens with easy access. A fire started in the far boonies is unlikely to be arson.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

As far as I have heard, most were caused by lightning. Many were in very remote areas, and it is unlikely a pyromaniac would take the trouble of driving for hours into the bush to start a fire when they can do it closer to home.

• Bill-M
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The Bush Fires in Australia have several causes:

1. Intentional lit by fire bug.

2. Lightning strike

3. Power Lines arcing in high wind.

4. Sparks coming from Train wheels.

5. One Fire was caused by a flat tire on a boat trailer. The Tire came off the Rim, the Rim dragging on the ground making sparks started a fire.

6. Land Owners burning rubbish and the wind.

7. Hazard Reduction gone wrong due to wind change.

• Interesting that all those causes except one are related to humans and their activities.

• MARK
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Bushfires may start as the result of some natural or human event. The natural cause of bushfires in Australia is lightning. It is estimated they account for half of all bushfires. The remaining fifty percent are caused by humans, both accidental and delibrate.

Source(s): Geoscience Australia (an agency of the Australian federal government)
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

The fire people in Australia have said that 0.03% (yes, that's a tiny,tiny number) can be attributed to arson. By why would facts get in the way of a bit of dishonest obfuscation?

• 1 month ago

The last I heard they arrested 24 people for starting them.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.