Jeep won't turn on with new OEM radio?

I bought an OEM stereo off eBay. I plugged it in to my jeep and now it won't turn on. It still turns on with the old radio so thankfully I have that. The radio is from a dodge caravan but does that matter if its still a Chrysler? My car acts like its turning on but won't start and completely shuts off. but then I plug in the old radio and its fine. I didn't splice wires, I have gas, I checked the fuses, the dealer has no answers, a local audio specialist has no answers, I am at a loss here please help. 

You see a radio, the ECM sees another computer module. One that is not programmed to the vehicle. Every electronic component of the car is a computer module... the instrument cluster, body control module, ABS etc. Some can be swapped, some can't without the ECM being reprogrammed with the new module. This takes the factory "scanner" equipment. Usually businesses that do a lot of high end radio installs (not best buy) can do the job for you. Tell them exactly what you have..... a Chrysler radio from another vehicle that you need programmed to your car.... and that it won't start with it now.

• zipper

No it will not work unless you put the right system in all the way, sounds like you do not have that. Try going to a radio shop and ask them for help.

As mentioned correctly by anon, if the stereo head end unit has vehicle serial canbus data on the unit for steering wheel control and ambient outdoor temperature readout, the firmware may need to be flashed on the head unit to match the vehicle enviroment. The firmware version should be labeled on both head units and match.

Sounds like an anti theft feature. See if the directions for your new radio address that issue.

The car does not turn on? Then you are sticking with the old radio.  No longer is it a simple switch to do.

Something in the new radio is causing a short that is grounding out the power and preventing the car from starting. May be a bad radio or it may not be wired up properly.

Thank you everyone! Any more constructive suggestions will be helpful while I wait for eBay response. I will not be trashing it because that is $150 down the drain. The company that makes them said it should be compatible with my car so the problem is with the radio. I am attempting to return it. 

The radio is an integral part of the canbus data communications through the dashboard, it's perfectly expected that it won't start.

Keep it simple and throw your eBay radio in the trash can before your Jeep will not completely start.  If there is a refund policy, return it and get your money back.  Radio could be shorting the start system but I am just guessing here.

The OEM radio may not be compatible with the electronics of the Jeep. Nowadays, the interface between the radio and the rest of the car is VERY complex and some of the non-radio functions are managed by the in-dash entertainment/radio system.