Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 1 month ago

Pomegranate tree - I repotted it, then my cat picked off all but 4 leaves?

I have a pomegranate bush/tree I picked up from a nursery not too long ago.  I repotted it, but my cats picked off all but 4 leaves (the bush is like, 2.5 feet tall with several branches).   

The dang thing isn’t dead yet (because I check under the bark with small cuts and it’s still green) but no new leaves have grown out yet.  What gives?  Yes it’s getting enough water - not drowning, but not completely dry.   

• Edwena

They are a desert plant. Dry air. The leaves get disease and eventually the plant dies in humid climates. Also they are multi branched and so it has to be arid enough not to have grass. They are a mess if the grass grows up in them. Now, if you do have the right location, like arid and intense sun, and don't want the fruit, find a dwarf pomegranate. They produce the most intense orange flower bloom with flowers that are like carnations. Almost like an azalea. The most gorgeous, unknown flowering bush-- in the right conditions. Like a large pot.

Guessing because it is winter it is dormant.?  Just keep the cat away and keep it watered enough and near a window for light.