Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 3 months ago

Anyone know anywhere in/around the GTA that will buy old/broken laptops?

I have two older laptops. Ones just super old but functions (last time I checked) and the other one I know is broken but it's nothing major (just some things detached from the motherboard). I'm wondering if anyone knows of any places in/around the GTA that'll buy them in their current state? I don't really NEED the money. I just want a tiny bit of extra cash.

GTA means the Greater Toronto Area which is in Ontario, Canada.

Nope, no idea where GTA is. When people see the acronym GTA, they think of the video game series which has sold BILLIONS of copies.

Do you know where PDX is? How about Bay City or Seatac? Ok, you should at least know where DFW is?  Since googling "GTA" pulls up the video game, can you name these cities without doing a google search?

Not many people know what's going on outside their own city and Toronto is not exactly the biggest tourist destination in the world.

Broken laptops that are several years old have no value and in some cases they have negative value..... meaning you'd have to pay someone to take it off your hands. The problem is, every city has laws against throwing away electronics because the solder might contain lead.

Most people take their broken laptops or desktops to an electronics recycler that's usually run by a charity service like Goodwill. I can go to an electronics recycler and sometimes they'll let me take a couple laptops or desktops. Other times they'll sell the junk for $10 a piece.

About the most you can do to make money is list the broken laptop on offerup, craigslist or whatever 2nd hand venue is popular in the Toronto area. I would advise you to remove the Hard Drive. Someone might need a part like the screen or CPU off your old laptop, and they'd possibly pay you $20 or $50 for your laptop.

A somewhat new laptop that's broken might have some value, especially if it's an expensive gaming laptop.

Even in GTA or anyplace else, you will not get anything for a really ancient one, and one with motherboard problems.  Take to a recycling place where electronics can be safely disposed of.

Source(s): My 1995 AST laptop works with Win95, my 1999 Dell Latitude CPx-H500GT with Win98SE is fine, my 2005 Acer Aspire 5610 runs Vista okay, my 2011 Lenovo needed a new motherboard, runs Win7 okay, and then there are all the other Dells and HPs running Win10 just fine.

No idea where GTA is! Don't forget Yahoo Answers is an international site so strange initials for towns, cities, etc mean nothing to most of us. Sorry you are too lazy to write out the full name of your location.

• Vicki

I'm not too lazy. Just know that a lot of American's know what the GTA is as well. Because Toronto as a whole is pretty popular. But thanks for your insulting answer. Next time you can check the insulting part at the door thanks.

• NONAME

GTA 5?..................