Jim2
Jim2 asked in Business & FinanceCorporations · 1 month ago

Is it a good idea for Microsoft to have ended windows 7 support, considering many like it better than windows 10?

I'm one of those people. I'd be happy running win 7 forever. 

Yes, it's their company, but we consumers are the ones that provide money to that company. Otherwise, that company would not exist. So, was it a good decision to boost microsoft's profits? I really question that.....

• DEBS
    Favorite Answer

Considering the security holes and amount of effort it would take to try and fix those...yes. Any company with a real IT department has long migrated off Win7 for the safety of the company.

I suppose it would be difficult to keep running something that is 'out of date' so to speak. It's similar with Apple technology. They stop updating their iPhone's after so long.

A lot of people liked Windows XP but that didn’t prevent it from being a security nightmare. Plus, versions of Windows cost a lot to maintain and it doesn’t make sense for Microsoft to support ALL of them when it is much cheaper to only support one or two. Besides, while many people liked XP for its looks, it is very easy to customize Windows 10 to look exactly like XP by fiddling with the system settings and using WindowsBlinds and Start10.

• A.J.

A company, ANY company, is not required to support its products forever, with the only exception being hazardous waste. Windows 7 was released 2nd half 2009.

There was Windows 8 and 8.1 and 10 as released in 2015. Windows 7 will still function. Microsoft now calls it legacy and only will get involved in emergencies.

I think 10 years of a product is fair enough. They made Windows 10 upgrade free, and it's still available free for people with legal Windows 7. There is some really old hardware not compatible, but that is a tiny number since there is a special compatibility mode. There are many improvements in Windows 10, and for the few losses versus 7 are adequate workarounds. And some new things can be shut down. I turned off Cortana and OneDrive. It you want to keep using Win 7, go ahead. Otherwise, three articles about the free upgrade that Microsoft STILL makes available since 2015, even if no longer handing you the method and walking you through it.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-st...

https://www.howtogeek.com/509087/how-to-upgrade-fr...

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/get-windows-10-for-fre... 

"we consumers are the ones that provide money to that company"    

"I'd be happy running win 7 forever."

You'd rather the company spend money supporting an old product forever while you pay them zero dollars.   

Of course it was a good decision.  

By the way, I'm still running Office 2003.    They're going to have to pry those CDs out of my cold dead hands.  LOL!

Maybe Windows 7 was getting inefficient 

I was quite happy with WinMe,  life moves on.

• Jim2
      1 month agoReport

True

• Rick

their company, their product, their decision ................

• Barry

'Good' doesn't enter into it. It's a commercial decision to boost Microsoft's profits.