Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 1 month ago

Can the teacher in my computer lab view what i was doing on my PC while i was using it?

I have a feeling she could.

Can they look at what I'm looking at/typing/chat? In other words, do they have access to some sort of virtual computer ( of my computer) that can run on their computer? 

Hope you get what i mean.

And can they view my passwords for my email?

They cant see your screen, my teachers said that to scare us into doing our work and and not getting distracted

• ron h
      1 month agoReport

depends on who owns the computer.

Without knowing how your school district has the PCs setup, there's no way to know. However, if I were you, assume that anything you do on a school/work PC is logged in some way.

I just got hired at the local school district in the IT dept yesterday. I went to a local high school and the IT techs showed me around and they (and the teachers) have a program called Faronics Insight which allows them to see student PCs. They can see your screen, what you're typing, etc.

As you should know by now, school PCs are for school and authorized purposes. You can't expect to have privacy on them. And if you're worried about them being able to see your stuff, then the only thing I can suggest would be to wait until you get home to use your own PC.

• ron h

Possibly. Stick to business when you're using someone else's computer or one where you've got some kind of "privileged" access.  At my work I HAVE SEEN that everything I do with my assigned computer is recorded. They can see screen shots of EVERYTHING. 

probably. no  midget clown porn for you, young man!

If she’s suspicious the computers all have a program that allows her full control over the computer and thus to see what’s on it.

• keerok

Yes, if he has the time but he can simply install "safeguards" and "triggers" that can send him "alarms" to catch someone doing something "fishy" however most teachers are overworked anyway so why would they even bother if it's not included in their pay grade?

• VP

It is ultimately much easier TO ASSUME that everything you do on someone else's computer is monitored. If you think that way -- you know not to do personal or dumb stuff.

• y

I have no idea what you teacher in that lab can or can't see. I do know that in my daughters school, they can see what is on all the schools systems. Plus they control and can see what is on their network that the kids are using. Entire new dept a few(could be ten) years ago for this specific propose, plus all the support, IT and such. The person who runs it salary is more then 100 thou(comes up in the budget discussions)

Yes, there are numerous monitoring programs available and in most schools they are used since the computer is the property of the school and in general to use it you have to agree to specific requirements and restrictions.  It is not a violation of your privacy since the computer and facilities are merely being borrowed by you for a specific use.

• Lôn

No, of course not!....why, what were you looking at??

• Lôn
      1 month agoReport

That's being pedantic...you know what I meant...chatrooms, porn, games etc.