Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingGrade-Schooler · 1 month ago

My daughter is considered the weird kid at school. How do I change her asap?

She's 15 and in the 9th grade. She wears sweat pants and t-shirts often. She doesn't seem interested in wearing jewelry, doesn't seem interested in social events with her classmates, struggles to make eye contact, I have to nag her to brush her teeth 4 times a day since she has braces, never seems truly happy, sucks at sports, seems more interested in hanging out with 8th-grade kids instead of 9th-grade kids, she claims that the kids at school hate her but she doesn’t know that, and she is too scared to get her learners permit. I’m annoyed. I don’t want a shy daughter and I wish she took an interest in something like dance, cheerleading, soccer, etc.

I actually look at this different-

She's a confident and upbeat person! So what she doesn't wear fancy clothes or is good at sports? It's superficial! She is comfortable with who she is, she isn't out there trying to "please others", she has friends who respect her and who she enjoys spending time with despite being a year younger.

It seems like you are forcing her to be something she isn't,

Well for one if she doesn't brush her teeth then you should definitely try explaining to her that her teeth will fall out and that she'll be wearing fake teeth when she's older ( which is true by the way). As for everything else, well I wouldn't make a battle over it because it's not even worth it. I would also try to find an activity that she's passionate about such as maybe art or alternative sports like swimming. As for the sweat pants, don't throw them out because she'll definitely resent you for that so it's not really worth it and she probably just prefers them over jeans because they're more comfortable.

Get the ***** a fur suit

She can't wear sweat pants to school if you toss them all out and replace them with jeans 

No one needs to wear jewelry and if she's not interested then bug off

School social events suck, not much happens and it centers around the popular kids 

You need to MAKE her brush her teeth before you end up having to have some pulled due to her being lazy 

So what if she sucks at sports. She doesn't need to be good with sports

sounds like she has no self esteem and no confidence and it sounds like you are trying to live through her since you want to her to do the things you used to do or want to do. 

Its better she learns to get into a hobby that is social like a table top war game, D&D or Magic the Gathering then to go to school sports and events 

• LizB

You have to parent the kid you get, not the kid you want. Your daughter isn't interested in cliche social activities like cheerleading and dance, and you can't force her to have an interest in them just because it's what YOU like. Try being a decent parent and showing interest in what SHE likes, even if it's not your thing. Help her find ways to build confidence in who she IS as an individual, shyness, weirdness, and all.

I am 14 and in the 8th grade, and im the exact same way. You can't change the way she is. My mom is the exact same way, and it drives me nuts! Don't push anything on her, it will just make things worse. Be easy going and just ask her about it. I have extreme anxiety about talking to other kids. My mom doesn't know this but if she would talk to me about it should would understand.

• Satan

You want to change your daughter?

You constantly remind her to brush her teeth, 4 times a day (a bit excessive, even for braces)?

How about you ask her what would make her happy? What she wants? She's got her own life to live, it's not yours!

Troll, as often as you troll this your daughter is way too old for high school. Find a new story that is more believable.