if a man breaks up the Engagement an year ago and now is asking for the ring back? We live in Oregon?

22 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

hahahaha... I pawned it about 11 months ago.. 

• Login to reply the answers
  • Athena
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If a man wants the ring back WHAT ?????

Ask a real question.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

hilarious! please tell me more

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Some states have Conditional or Implied Conditional laws about returning the ring if an engagement is broken. Oregon isn't one of them. However, it's considered proper etiquette to return the ring and if you don't he could probably sue you for it and prevail in civil court.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Give him back the ring. There’s no need to hold on to it. 

• 1 month ago

Indiana law states if the man breaks up, the women gets to keep the ring. If the woman breaks up, she gives the ring back.  

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Technically if the bride to be breaks the engagment, then she should return the ring.  But he's the one that broke it and in that case, the ring is a gift.  However, since there is no marriage now, I'd just give him the ring back and never speak to him again.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

There's no law on it in Oregon but if you were to divorce they consider the engagement ring a gift.  That speaks to me the engagement ring is a gift and doesn't have to be returned.

• Dr. Stephanie
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

no wedding was mentioned, ....ho hum

• drip
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Do look this up for your state. I would think hiring a lawyer to sue you wouldn’t be worth the money to get the ring back. Unless it is a very expensive ring.

Small claims court can vary depending on the judge. That is has been a year may be in your favor. 

Did he ever ask for it back before. Did you ever offer to give it back. Did you say you still have it?

My friend’s engagement broke up, she offered the ring back and he did not want it. She had the diamond put into a necklace. A reminder of dodging the bullet. 

• 1 month ago

Generally, the etiquette goes that:

- if the man breaks up the engagement, the woman keeps the ring

- if the woman breaks off the engagement, she gives the ring back

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.