if a man breaks up the Engagement an year ago and now is asking for the ring back? We live in Oregon?

hahahaha... I pawned it about 11 months ago.. 

• Athena

If a man wants the ring back WHAT ?????

Ask a real question.

hilarious! please tell me more

• Foofa

Some states have Conditional or Implied Conditional laws about returning the ring if an engagement is broken. Oregon isn't one of them. However, it's considered proper etiquette to return the ring and if you don't he could probably sue you for it and prevail in civil court.

Give him back the ring. There’s no need to hold on to it. 

Indiana law states if the man breaks up, the women gets to keep the ring. If the woman breaks up, she gives the ring back.  

• Ocimom

Technically if the bride to be breaks the engagment, then she should return the ring.  But he's the one that broke it and in that case, the ring is a gift.  However, since there is no marriage now, I'd just give him the ring back and never speak to him again.

There's no law on it in Oregon but if you were to divorce they consider the engagement ring a gift.  That speaks to me the engagement ring is a gift and doesn't have to be returned.

• Dr. Stephanie
      1 month agoReport

no wedding was mentioned, ....ho hum

• drip

Do look this up for your state. I would think hiring a lawyer to sue you wouldn’t be worth the money to get the ring back. Unless it is a very expensive ring.

Small claims court can vary depending on the judge. That is has been a year may be in your favor. 

Did he ever ask for it back before. Did you ever offer to give it back. Did you say you still have it?

My friend’s engagement broke up, she offered the ring back and he did not want it. She had the diamond put into a necklace. A reminder of dodging the bullet. 

Generally, the etiquette goes that:

- if the man breaks up the engagement, the woman keeps the ring

- if the woman breaks off the engagement, she gives the ring back