Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Do locksmiths have any way of checking and finding out who owns your property before coming out?

Like some database or something?

Favorite Answer

Reputable locksmiths will require some form of ID, proof of ownership or both, but will often accept a neighbour vouching for you, pending  you finding proof once you have regained access. If you are standing there in your dressing gown having taken out the trash or some such you may have neglected to bring your drivers license and Council Tax bill out with you.

• Nuff Sed
      1 month agoReport

You don't need a locksmith if you can easily break a window to get in, then have it replaced for less than the cost of an emergency locksmith call.

In many communities (or counties), the tax information is available online on the assessor's site. I doubt if any/many locksmiths use it.

They don't care who owns it. They only need to verify that you live there or otherwise have permission to enter.  Yes, in theory, there are online records of who owns properties, or even who might live there, although of questionable accuracy due to lack of timely updates.

Also, it's often cheaper to break a window to get in than to pay for a locksmith!  In some communities the local PD or FD may also assist you with a "lockout", if you ask nicely.

They usually check the persons ID to verify that they live at the address that they have been called out to!

I know when I locked myself out one time, the locksmith was not going to perform his service unless I could prove that I lived there!

They have EXACTLY the same tools YOU have for the purpose.

• elhigh

No. A good one will ask for a photo ID with the address in question on it, but beyond that, not really.

That might depend on where you are. In my area I believe you have to have a title search done (and pay for it) to find out who owns a property. You can pay a title search company to do that, during business hours only, or you can go yourself to the land registry office, also during business hours. The nearest one to my town is a 3 hour drive. Maybe there's some way that a business can have that info in their own files without having to pay a title search company each time, but I don't know about that.

Of course, who owns the property doesn't say who lives there and can legally get in. Maybe it's a tenant calling the locksmith.

the local property tax assessor knows who owned it as of the most recent date of the tax rolls. however, many properties are owned by indirect means which leave no record of the human owner(s). Tax bills are routinely sent ot the mortgage company, not the owner, so the address on file with the tax assessor isn't the address of the owner.

Anyway, it is a simple matter for a crook to forge a lease and show that to the locksmith .... after which, he changes the locks and you, the owner, are locked out.

Source(s): grampa
  • Laurie

Reputable locksmiths ask for ID that verifies address - not necessarily ownership.

• Satan

They normally ask for proof of you living there, like driving license etc