Calibrating my 5.1 surround sound, base level of 75db is too loud?

So I read the calibrating each speaker to 75db is the norm, but in my room, its far too loud.

What is the next best sound level? Thank you.

My speakers can be + or - from -6 to +6.

There is no "next best" sound level. 

Adjust it until it produces the best results you can get out of it.  

Only after you finish setting it up should you note the numbers 

so that you can later reset it to the same condition if necessary. 

That is just for calibration, a one-off process when setting up new or changed speakers, so they each give the correct relative volume at the listening position.

Use near zero for the speaker(s) that are mid-distance from the seating position, turn down any closer ones to match and turn up any further ones to match, as appropriate.

If it's uncomfortably loud, turn the main volume down slightly and do the calibration like that. You could just do it at the most likely volume you will be using when listening normally.

Once the calibration is completed, just set the main volume as you like for comfortable listening!

(My amp has an automatic calibration system using a mic you plug in temporarily - that is rather loud while doing the calibration, but it's finished in around ten seconds & I think I've only re-done it a couple of times in several years after moving things round in the room).

Simple non-tech method.

Put a towel over it.