promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 2 months ago

Am I a minority?

Hey everyone, just been applying for jobs and they've been asking if I am considered as a minority. 

Some background on myself, 26yo male living in Australia, I am Cambodian and Chinese by descent and I was also born in Australia (citizen), but my parents were born overseas.

Update:

Thank you for the answers, throughout the job applications I've applied for they have already had a section which asks if I am Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islanders, and I had obviously selected no. 

Update 2:

I also was able to retrace a specific question in regards to this: Are you from a racial, ethnic or ethno-religious group which is a minority in Australian Society? You should answer “Yes” to this question if you are from a minority because of any of the following: your country of birth or descent, your ethnic or racial appearance, your religion of culture, your language background or accent. Would I be right to assume the answer is yes? Thank you

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Damien
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

yes u are a minority cause you are living in austraila and in australia anyone who's not white is considered a minority regardless of australian citizenship. the minority part is determined based on ethnicity, not on citizenship

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Brooky
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If you really were asked "Are you from a racial, ethnic or ethno-religious group which is a minority in Australian Society? You should answer “Yes” to this question if you are from a minority because of any of the following: your country of birth or descent, your ethnic or racial appearance, your religion of culture, your language background or accent", that was an illegal question and I simply do not believe you were asked it on any Australian job application.

Questions relating to Aboriginal or TSI backgrounds are specifically excluded from that prohibition, but any other question relating to race, appearance or ethnicity is against the law and all Australian employers are (or should be) aware of that fact.

• 2 months ago

I agree with the answer from Politically Correct and you need to find out if being of Cambodian/Chinese ancestry counts as being a "minority" in Australia for employment preference purposes. Don't just say "Yes" as that could get you into real legal trouble if incorrect.  At least just ask whoever is interviewing you what counts as a minority.   

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

As the majority population of Australia identifies as Caucasian you would be considered a racial minority.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Be careful with this.  In Australia 'minority' generally means aboriginal peoples, Torres Strait Islanders and South Sea Islanders as they have special protection under the 1984 Equal Opportunities Act.  Ask the employer, it would be most embarrassing to get that wrong.  Once you know for sure, the answer will be the same for all employers.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Yes you are classified as a 'minority'

• 2 months ago

😄

Minority is any group that isn't the majority in your country.

Yes. You are a minority.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Well, in australia you are, at least.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.