British foods in America?

I've been trying to google foods that were invented in England and are eaten in America, but every time I do it just gives me lists of foods you *can't* get in America. Does anybody have a list of British origin foods that are common in America? Sweets, meals,ect.

Some years ago I had an American couple living with us for a couple of weeks and, except when we ate out, I cooked the regular things that my wife and I ate. I was surprised when they told me that most of the meals were what they would have at home but with different names.

Pasties, fish and chips, banoffee pie and apple pie.

Are Penguins in America? You get a lot of food from the Brits here in Australia. 

• Penguins are a chocolate biscuit with a creamy inside that is chocolate but may have other flavours. In Australia and New Zealand, Tim Tams are similar and made by Arnott’s. You get both brands here though.

Just off the top of my head ... Yorkshire pudding (in the U.S., often called "popovers"). It's a bread, not a pudding, actually.

Just googled your question and this website answers your question. You really should learn how to think well enough to do your own research:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_dish...

• John

I'm not going to split hairs about forgotten origins. But the Brits have meat pies, which in America probably became chicken pot pie. I know that they didn't invent beer but there is little doubt that it came on the Mayflower.

Scones.  

British in origin; popular in the USA.

• al
      1 month agoReport

Gross, no they are not!

• Anton

Oy Vey! The original colonists were British, and the most of our foods originally came from Britland.  Your list of "British foods in America" would be a list in the thousands.

Apple pie, definitely an English dessert to start with but now very popular in America.

That's a hard question to answer because, for one thing, it can be very hard to say exactly where--and when--a certain food was 'invented'. Most foods weren't exactly invented, anyway. They sort of evolved over time, and where and when they first originated can't really be known. The exception to that is modern food that was dreamed up in the last 100 years or so, like candy bars, packaged cereal, things with a brand name like Mars bars. Also, most countries in the world have some version of most types of food. Pies, or dumplings, or stews, soups, noodles, for example, all kinds of those are known in many countries.

I think it would be fairly safe to say that much of the food eaten in England is now also eaten in the US, though perhaps not always as frequently or using the exact same recipe. I have read, for instance, that Cornish pasties are popular in part of Michigan which was settled by a lot of Cornish miners, while pasties are virtually unknown in the rest of the US.

It might be easier to find out what foods are considered to have been invented in England and then try to find out if they are known in the US.

crumpets, fish n chips.