victoria asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 4 days ago

Name the postural issue related to this picture?

https://imgur.com/prnk8bS

A. Anterior Tilt of Pelvis

B. External rotation at the rotator cuff

C. Internal rotation at the rotator cuff

D. There are none

I am stuck in between B or C. Anyone know?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 4 days ago
    Favorite Answer

the short answer: i am guessing it is D "it appears that there is none"..

the long answer..  in regards to "postural issues", it is not B nor C.. posture is the overall position that your body is at (sitting, standing, walking and such), and when we talk about postural issues, we are talking about the wrong posture that produces negative effects in your spine (your neck and your back) in the near/far future (chronic pain, disc prolapse, sciatic pain, neuropathy etc etc..)

for example, we often advise people to lift heavy boxes with their knees/feet and not with their backs.. because bending or bowing your back forward to pick up a heavy box, will cause postural-related issues at your back over time, such as chronic back pain and nerve damage to your legs and feet..it is not B nor C because according to your photo, whatever your shoulders are at, the effect on the spine (back and neck) are about the same.. the physiology and the physics involved are about the same, when they are applied on your spine..

the rotator cuff is a specific reference to the shoulder joint movement or position.. if you stand with your arms next to your body, and if you bend the elbows to 90 degrees so your hands would go forward, the rotation of the shoulders would be counted at the Neutral Position (zero rotation).. so if you turn your hands closer to your tummy/abdomen that's internal or medial rotation of the shoulders.. and if you bring your hands away from your body until it starts to hurt, that's external or lateral rotation of the shoulders....

from the your photo, there is a little bit of external rotation or lateral rotation on the man's shoulders lifting those weights, but that's normal..

`

next..

`

i was tempted to answer A.. but the language used in option A is rubbish (garbage).. this is not how medical doctors nor people of science say or write.. and i know this because i have spent a semester learning how to describe positions of the body and limbs - but i have never heard of anterior tilt of the pelvis.. 

i want to dismiss A because the man's pelvis appears to be at the neutral (normal) position; so it is not A .. but when A, B and C are wrong, this leaves us with D, right?! D must be the correct answer..

no.. not necessarily.. i would say that D is the least wrong answer among the 4 answers..what i see in the photo, is a person lifting an object with his back bent or leaned backward, or if you want to get technical 'the guy in the picture appears to hyper-extend his back while lifting weights".. the better correct answer would be hyper-extended back or hyper-extension of the back in the photo..

when you lift something heavy, you would want to keep your back as straight as possible.. the reason is about the same reason why doctors advise AGAINST lifting a heavy box by bending (flexing) your back forward with your arms going downward.. bowing or bending your back forward (flexion); and bowing or bending your back backward (extension) puts a lot of pressure on your spine especially when lifting heavy objects..

ideally.. you would want your back to be kept as straight as possible (squared or at neutral position) when lifting heavy objects.. all the best..

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.