How to know when something is voluntary rather than involuntary? Do we have the science?

• It is implicit in the experience that something is voluntary. As a brick wall is a solid object do we know it’s voluntary when we do something. Whether or not we are focusing on a particular place in our awareness or turn away altogether, it’s the same. Dreams do not cease just because you stop dreaming them. The brain is a maze. We know when we have been somewhere. But the topology may not obey convention.

You are like a musical instrument which when played the same produces the same tune.

Voluntary may just be a feeling though. There may be no doing. Just being. The deterministic universe playing on your harp strings. You are like a bunch of a marbles. Sometimes you lose them. Sometimes they fall into the right places.

• 19 hours ago

Like in a nervous system? In humans that is easy. Most internal organs are involuntary and everything else that isn't is voluntary.

• 2 days ago

If it is within one's abilities to either take an action, or refrain from taking it, the action is voluntary.

If it isn't within one's abilities to refrain from taking an action, the action is involuntary.

That's pretty simple. I don't know how science could help clarify it. I think most people that want to bring science into the equation are grasping for straws that will allow them to shirk responsibility for the weakness of their own will. I'm not saying that my will is strong; I'm just saying that instead of trying to say, "I couldn't help it." people should just own it, and say, "Due to my selfishness, or my own priorities, I did it."

• 2 days ago

almost everything is coded or there is a language and that causes the will to intervene.