WiFi Problems?

This has been happening for a long time now, and I’ve put up with it. But I’m so done. I’m in college, and the WiFi at my parents house has some serious issues. I don’t know what is wrong with it, because it used to be completely fine. However, over what seems to be the last 2-3 years now, it constantly will screw up. Basically what happens it that I’ll be on my computer and eventually there will be a yellow triangle (this triangle I hate more than anything in the world) on my WiFi symbol. While hovering over this reveals “limited access” what it really means is no access whatsoever. I can’t use the Internet on my laptop until the triangle of hell goes away. Sometimes my computer will even decide that there’s not even a WiFi network around, in which case I’ve found that a restart will fix it. That is significantly more rare, though, and if I were to do that every time I got the triangle, I’d be restarting my computer more than using it. This happens to all 4 laptops in our family, but What’s weird is that during these periods, all our phones can still connect and work fine. That makes it seem like it’s an issue with our computers, BUT my laptop works EVERY SECOND OF THE DAY while I’m at my dorm room, so this is a two way street. I’ve tried to look this **** up but these articles might as well be written in Japanese. I’m someone that watches a lot of Netflix, YouTube, etc on my computer and I need to know how to stop this ****.

you need to run the updates on your router. 

IF that doesn't work check with your company to see if they have all the functions activated such as THEIR PHONE signals etc. 

IF they do you can actually have the extra service turned off because it is something you are paying for and not using.. YOU may also need to take it in and exchange it of a new one. Example I have SPECTRUM INTERNET.. the modem was set up using 2 different things for phones. ( I do not know the exact name for them but it is 2 extra lights on my modem when it is connected. I NEVER USED THEIR PHONE NUMBER ETC. so I had them turn off thay part of it. MY computer seemed to be faster connecting and ALSO I stream Movies such as RUKU , Netflix and some others from it and have no problems at all.. 

• VP

Sorry, I thought you had a serious problem on your hands. 

I bid you good luck with it.

Your issues are more than likely associated with the router than your computers, specially if it's happening to all 4 computers.

The next time it happens try rebooting the router and see if that clears the problem.

The "limited access" message usually means that the local network is okay, but the Internet connection from the router to the Internet service provider is unavailable.

When you have the limited access message you should still be able to ping/access the router.  You should verify this the next time you get that message.  

Odds are what is happening is the software running on your router has what's known as a memory leak.  Eventually what happens is the router runs out of available memory for storing temporary information (like when it's doing NAT) and some function of the router stops working, like NAT.  Memory leaks are a pretty common bug in computer software, hence the recommendation below to upgrade the routers software if one is available.  If you continue to have the problem I'd recommend that you consider getting a new - better - router.  

I've had this problem with both Linksys and Netgear routers, I no longer use either brand because of it.

• David

You may be getting interference from neighbouring wireless signals. 

1)Change the broadcast channel on the router to channel to a less congested one than the current. You can download netstumbler or inssider (google them) and they will display the broadcast channels of any neighbouring wifi networks

2)Turn off any baby alarms cordless phones wireless doorbells as these use the same 2.4Ghz frequency

3)Update the firmware of the router and drivers for your PC/laptop

4) try to move the router to a more central location, what sort of signal strength are you getting?

5) it may be worth getting a better router if none of the above steps helps

HTH

• Bill-M

Your WIFI Router needs to be replaced with a current version (software Upgrade)

Your Router is OLD and the Firmware is out of date with new WIFI Tech.

• Olive

Not sure what windows your running on your laptop but what can do is reset network settings and if that dont work try seeing if network adapter needs updated thru device manager