promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Is it normal to still feel exhausted 3 days after giving blood?

I am an 18 year old female who donated a pint of blood on Monday the 13th. This blood donation was my first time. I nearly passed out TWICE while donating and I threw up a few times. I'm just concerned that I won't feel better tomorrow. I'm really worried. Help?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Have you eaten/rested enough? If that's not the case, that's why you still feel exhausted.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 3 months ago

It appears from your story that you may have a weaken immunity. Low-Iron levels in blood can make your limbs feel cold and tax your memory. You should only donate blood after you have eaten that lessen the chances of vomiting. First, your body may be trying to tell you you should not donate blood regardless how you feel. Women lose Iron levels in blood during their monthly menses. I donated blood in a mobile van in Houston, Texas, every 3 months for 10 years. I vomited once when I forgot to eat breakfast. One of my medications restricted me from donating blood, so I had to stop donating blood. Try to donate blood in the afternoon after you have eaten and spent most of the day in activities. Blood banks usually test your blood from a finger prick to determine whether to continue allowing you to donate blood.

harrald

• Rick
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

would hit me in an hour !!! .......................

• 3 months ago

maybe take an iron supplement or have some red meat. Sounds like you're a little iron deficient right now. Females your age are particularly at risk for anemia. Our body only has one way to reduce iron and thats through bleeding. Hence why women are more at risk because of their periods. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 months ago

They shouldn’t have let you donate if you almost passed out.

• ...Show all comments
    • Edna
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Sure, they can "take you off" if you're already hooked up. All they have to do is remove the needle. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.