when and why did they start making such expensive vehicles? (twice the size and loaded down with unnecessary electronics, etc)?

and why people wanted to buy them?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 days ago
    Favorite Answer

Never, they are "smaller" unless you only look at pickups.

Complicated started IMHO in 1980, with  FWDs,  then EFI in '90's. They are deliberately hard so you will go to dealer. They are so reliable now that they lose business. 

People got used to bells/whistles. If you ever  drive  one with el. windows and all, it's hard to come down to window cranks. 

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 days ago

It's been over the last couple of decades - vehicles have become considerably more high tech, and have many safety features that didn't exist in older vehicles (i.e. roll-over mitigation, anti-lock brakes, traction control, etc.) - but the number one reason that cars are so expensive today is that people are willing to pay whatever they are asked.

The average person will walk onto a car lot, fall in love with a car (which salesmen can sense), and then get taken for a ride (pun intended).

There are some tricks car salesmen use to get people to shell out top dollar for vehicles - the most common one is to sit you down and start talking monthly payment.  They will bring you a number on a piece of paper - and if you say you can't afford it, they will say they are 'going to talk to their boss and see what they can do'.

The lower number they come back with isn't because you talked them off the price of the car (you don't even know what you are paying for it), instead - they just added more months to the payments.

• 2 days ago

I wanted a Ute No Radio no computer carburettor model manual got laughed at so Purchased a 220 Sb  Mercedes Benz Restored her took all the Rust out rebuilt the engine Gearbox and Diff problem solved drover her regularly for 10 years one of the best engines i have ever had

• Anonymous
    3 days ago

Manufacturers had to add gimmicks(electronic bling) to make the car NEW than last years model.  No longer were they putting in real quality stuff like higher horsepower or greater carrying capacity or better fuel economy.  Electronics was cheap. The electronics became a necessary part of fuel management so nothing you can backyard with.Cars are now being fixed at dealerships.

What choice do the people have?  The manufacturer decides what the next year's model is going to have for features. "Take it or leave it"

For some people, the company buys the car.  For others, their other vehicle JUST DIED. So they had no choice.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 days ago

Did you just land on the planet or have you been living under a rock for the last 75 years? Vehicles aren't to just move you from place A to place B as cheaply as possible they have become a symbol of virility, wealth, power and prestige. This has been a cyclic phenomenon since the invention of the automobile based upon the movement with the sustained price of fuel and wealth index. 

• sydney19
      Lv 4
      2 days agoReport

If i could register a Trabant in Australia i would i only want transport to get me from A to B

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.