what is the best FREE vpn?

also i hear so much talk about vpn's protecting your computer from hackers usually by youtubers who are sponserd by those companies but are there any downsides to getting a vpn?

Free vpn can't ensure 100% reliability and security, better to go with paid or partially paid. Try HideMyAss, that's fast and entirely secure.

No doubt, ExpressVPN is the best vpn service. Just go with it. 

I recommend NordVPN and Surfshark.

Get SoftEther VPN

Proton VPN.

The free version comes with 2-3 different hosts, and no cap/data limit.

The paid version - obviously - have a lot more hosts from around the world, to choose from. About a hundred different IPs, if I'm not mistaken.

• keerok

The Opera browser comes with a free VPN.

• Dave

No it doesn't. It comes with a proxy. Not even close to the same technology.

I don't know if I would use any free VPN's. My friend used one, I think it was called Ghostery. Well, it did not work for him and he received an email from his ISP telling him they were aware of him using it.

I heard that Nord or Express Vpn was reliable. You would need to check with them for the cost.

• Dave

They can see bandwidth, but nothing more then that. They have no clue if it was streaming movies, downloading files or playing games.

I use X-VPN, as an app at least. Works well and I've never had any problems with it. 

• Dave

VPN encrypts your date stream so that it's safe to use on public wifi. I wouldn't touch free VPN with a 10 foot pole. They have to make money somehow, and that usually means either showing you ads, or selling your data. Neither is an option for me.