Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheater & Acting · 1 month ago

Is It Normal To HATE Auditioning?

I love acting, have taken a few classes, but all my classmates were friendly and supportive.

But I've gone on a few real auditions, and I do terrible. I've forgotten lines even after practicing, I start shaking, and my heart starts racing.

I wish there was a magic button I could press to turn off my anxiety and be able to act the way that I can alone in my bedroom.

I've tried thinking of auditions as a mini performance, but I can't do it. Auditioning is the ONLY way to get a role, and if you blow it, you're screwed, so I get way too nervous.

How can I be confident?

• Athena

We ALL hate auditioning.

Get used to it sweetie.

Practice with friends or in front of a mirror if that's all you have. Practice in front of a web cam. Use a chair as an imaginary judge. If you practice enough, that will generate confidence.

It is perfectly normal to be nervous before an audition.  I acted professionally for 15 years and was always nervous.  I’ve actually had a couple of auditions where I completely blanked and fell flat on my face. But I survived.

But Cognito is right - with training, practice and time you learn how to deal with the anxiety and even use the energy during the audition. 

Part of it is accepting that casting is out of your control.  You could give a perfect audition and still not get picked. So I don’t view auditioning trying to win a role.  That is not the goal or the reason I audition.  Auditioning is about getting a chance to act! And it’s really only acting if you have an audience. Alone in your room doesn’t my cut it.

Plus with auditioning I get a to meet directors, producers and others. I got to read (or re-read) a play and delve into the characters a bit. And remember the people auditioning you are on your side.  Really!  This isn’t a contest where the best actors gets the lead and the second best gets the second lead. 

But it’s really continuing with training and practicing and auditioning that will help the most.  The more you work on it, the more comfortable you’ll get.

You could have social anxiety. Don't worry, there are famous actor with that who just got on with it.

• Cogito

Yes - totally normal.

Your problem is that you've taken only 'a few' classes.

When people want to get into acting in a serious way, it takes, on average, four years of training at a really good acting school followed by a degree level three-year course.

During that time, people are constantly auditioned and have auditioning lessons and practice.  They just get used to them.

Even after all that, almost all actors get nervous at auditions - even A List actors do.  But they have learned, over the years, how to hide their nerves and kind of push them to the back of their minds whilst they're at the audition venue.

If you continue acting, bear that in mind.  

Give it time, experience and practice!

Yes, absolutely. I think only 10% of people who audition aren't nervous.

[Citation needed]